Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: My weak blind defense with ATs

God forbid someone ask a question? JHC. Clearly your line is 100% foolproof and the only one that's perfect.

I don't get it. You call a cap and check/call, check/fold?

Is that the action you're reccomending?

check and if he checks bet/fold the turn?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you fire at this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'm scared of the cap? and I didn't connect with the board...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, firing on the flop is only to assume Button isn't going to reraise. firing on the turn is probably the best idea, and if he calls, fire again on the river and hope to fold is AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of firing the turn, but I was quite afraid of a raise, and I didn't really know how to proceed if he did that -- basically, if he could be trying to steal again, or if he was pulling some weird slowplay move, so I just checked.

If villain bet at me, I probably would have peeled the flop, and if fired again on the turn, I'd fold.

If he fired the turn after the flop check, I probably would have called him down...not sure....

This hand really confused the hell outta me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the best way to play this hand is betting the turn and checking the river through if called. This avoids facing a steal bet if you check the turn, and gives you max fold equity to a hand better than yours. Also, I dont think button wants to dick around with raising QJ on a steal after you just capped preflop, so betting here allows you to safely fold to a raise.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God forbid someone ask a question? JHC. Clearly your line is 100% foolproof and the only one that's perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

What range of hands is he capping with that I am beating? Only a bluff, one that I wouldn't expect a player like this to make. If you're regularly 3betting with ATs and betting into the PF capper, you need to seriously re-evaluate your game. Betting the flop is probably the dumbest idea, IMO.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What range of hands is he capping with that I am beating

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't ask yourself this question on the flop call?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What range of hands is he capping with that I am beating

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't ask yourself this question on the flop call?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he had bet, I'm getting 9.5SB to draw. If he is capping with KK/QQ/JJ, my A is a clean 3 outs and my T is 0, but if he's capping with AK, my A outs are 0, but my T outs are roughly 2 (as I might connect but still lose if a K falls), so we count my 2 overs as probably about 2.5 outs total. I also have a backdoor nut flush draw valued at about 1.5 outs, so thats 4 outs total. I need about 10:1 to make the call with 4 outs -- I think this is a pretty simple peel.

Elaborate on what you think a bet is going to accomplish on the flop, and how are we to proceed based on his actions?

And folding to the preflop cap is horrible.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:20 AM

You called it weak blind defense. What do you mean by that?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:01 AM

When villain open-raises from the button, he could have almost anything since he's in an obvious steal situation. That's why we 3-bet our ATs; our hand compares favorably to his extremely broad range of raising hands.

When villain then caps, his range of hands gets narrowed down. Unless he is a maniacal bluff-raiser who can't get away from a steal attempt (and there are some out there), our hand no longer looks so good relative to his range of hands. Still, we're getting very good odds to call that preflop cap, so we do so. Folding to the cap would be a clear error.

On the flop, betting out accomplishes nothing. Most players who attempted a steal PF will automatically raise any lead-off bet in this sort of situation, so all you do is toss in two bets when you have nothing, and you get no information at all from it. Not good.

When villain checks behind, it tells us he's either playing his overcards very weakly, or he was just screwing around PF. Either way, it now becomes reasonable to bet the turn, hoping to fold him out right now.

Based on your comments in this thread, it sounds like blind defense is a problem spot for you, as it is for many players. It is easy to spew a bunch of chips by getting into pissing contests over the blinds. Don't do it. Its one thing to defend your blinds when the situation warrants, but if you go into every steal situation assuming that your opponent is on a pure bluff, these spots are going to be very -EV for you in the long run.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, Lazy- calm down dude. you suggested playing one way, i suggested another. someone else may come up with something completely different. no need to catch attitude. for all i know, if there is a "wrong" way to play this hand, mine may be the worst.

why i suggested what i did:
1. weakness in his flop play after preflop cap.
2. he's tight-aggressive.
3. he might fold thinking we have a pair of some kind.
4. i'd bet the river as well simply because if he has UI overcards, he might call the turn bet to try and improve on the river. when he doesn't, he may fold and we win. that's all.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:09 PM

Bump.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:20 PM

My gut instinct is to bet the turn. You can get better hands (AJ,AK,AQ) to fold, a raise or call and you are done. But on the turn your fold equity is the highest imho. It is a bluff, but based on your betting pattern and if the villian is thinking, not a bad one. It makes it look like you whiffed on your check-raise and are betting out again and arent afraid of his hand and chances are extremely slim that you win this UI on the river.