Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Weird flop scenario: What to do here?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

Button ($30.90)
SB ($2.50)
Hero ($25)
UTG ($5.55)
UTG+1 ($4)
MP1 ($8)
MP2 ($45.40)
MP3 ($6.20)
CO ($11.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $0.5</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($2.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.4</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $7.5</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, Hero calls $5.10.

Turn: ($17.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($17.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $17.50

Results:

<font color="#ffffff">
*** SHOW DOWN ***
jj_frap: shows [7d Js 3s Jc] (a full house, Sevens full of Threes)
Imagness: shows [9h Ac 9d Ad] (two pair, Aces and Sevens)
jj_frap collected $16.65 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $17.50 | Rake $0.85
Board [3h 7s 2d 7h Th]
Seat 1: BlkHead (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: EL Pi (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 3: jj_frap (big blind) showed [7d Js 3s Jc] and won ($16.65) with a full house, Sevens full of Threes
Seat 4: bpulera folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: micbel folded on the Flop
Seat 6: Imagness showed [9h Ac 9d Ad] and lost with two pair, Aces and Sevens
Seat 7: m3cugg folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: IndianNickel folded on the Flop
Seat 9: madiso folded before Flop (didn't bet)
</font>

I was reasonably sure that I was facing some sort of decent QQ or KK hand here, and since I wasn't worried about being punished on future streets, I went for it.

Was I too loose here, or did I do the best that I could with a slightly oddball scenario? (I called preflop because the odds of spiking a jack justified calling a minraise with a lot of loose donks in the pot.)
Old 11-26-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Weird flop scenario: What to do here?

His flop raise could easily mean several differet things:

- a bluff/re-steal into a raggy board
- a set of dueces
- a wrap or draw+pair
- overpair+ draw
- he's a donk

The only one of which that you really don't like is the set of twos, and I see no good reason to favor any particular scenario over another here. Though you could be (slightly) behind a big draw or pair+draw, the pot odds'll easily overcome that. With the odds to call, I'd be happy to kick in another $5 and see what happens.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His flop raise could easily mean several differet things:

- a bluff/re-steal into a raggy board
- a set of dueces
- a wrap or draw+pair
- overpair+ draw
- he's a donk

[/ QUOTE ]

While holding the 7 and 3 make it less likely that someone has 7-7-x-x or 3-3-x-x, I wouldn't discount the possibility completely on the flop.

Calling the reraise here is really dependent upon your read of the opponent. If I know the guy is a complete rock or otherwise unlikely to be raising a draw/steal, I am folding to the reraise without a second thought.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While holding the 7 and 3 make it less likely that someone has 7-7-x-x or 3-3-x-x, I wouldn't discount the possibility completely on the flop.

Calling the reraise here is really dependent upon your read of the opponent. If I know the guy is a complete rock or otherwise unlikely to be raising a draw/steal, I am folding to the reraise without a second thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's always possible that someone has the nuts... i shouldn't completly discount the possibility, but it's very read-dependant. there are several regulars in the games i play against whom this would be an insta-muck, but against a random micro-PLO player, i just can't fold here.

Of course, even at PLO $25, there are total nut-peddlin' PLO rocks- and it's important to tag those W/T players ASAP. without reads, though, i'm happy to call.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Of course, even at PLO $25, there are total nut-peddlin' PLO rocks- and it's important to tag those W/T players ASAP. without reads, though, i'm happy to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerAce, baby. :-)