Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Sirius Satellite Raido (SIRI)

some of the reviews of those that know about the stock seem to thnk the company wont make it with its expenses no matter how many more subscribers it gets within reason. likely to find this stock gets put into bankrupcy to eliminate stockholders equity and then see it evolve into something profitable. i would trade it but not hold it for a long time.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:39 AM

Ray is right....
Old 10-08-2004, 12:54 PM

I also agree with Ray. I bought into Sirius around $1 a year and a half ago and bought XMSR at $2.50 around thanksgiving a couple years back. Felt at the time they were a little too beat up, and when I bought Sirius there was a decent gap between XM and SIRI. I've sold both awhile back (SIRI @ 1.80 XM @ 10, held onto some, not much, XM shares). Anyway, if anything I would short SIRI at 4, the cash flow and subscriber expectations do not support $4 at this time (definitely not a $4.6B company at this point, even considering expectation). But even shorting is high risk with this stock, so ultimately I don't think I would touch it. When I bought SIRI at $1 I considered it really to be a gamble, think both XM and SIRI are relatively overpriced.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:11 PM

I enjoy Howard and all and was listening when he made the annoucement, but as far as the stock goes, seems like a classic case of "buy on the rumor, sell on the news". Buying into feeding frenzies is generally not a good idea. As Ray pointed out, this is probably a great trading stock, much like the profitless internet stocks were in '99, but not a long term hold for the same reason the internet stocks weren't. Selling at 130X sales is a weeeee bit pricy. This has Howard's success priced in 10X over.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I head the Howard Stern news yesterday, and it seems like a no brainer purchase. I setup an etrade account today (have only 401k until today) just to purchase SIRI stock. However, etrade doesn't let you buy stock that is <$5 per share for the first 7 days after an account is open!

In the meantime, I lost 5% today... and now I'm waiting for the stock to hit $5 or 7 days.

- Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

That is funny...
Old 10-13-2004, 12:19 AM

looking at the market cap on both sirius and xm these stocks cant survive w/ the cash flow and revenue they currently have. There will be a fallout eventually, something must happen. I've havent seen a stock this overpriced since the tech boom of 99. this bubble will pop just the same. buying these stocks at the current share price is like playing 2-7 off against aces w/ 2 aces on the flop. ur gonna lose.

69 <- name not indicative of market knowledge.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:08 AM

Surely you do realize that you can't compare stock prices across companies. Surely, if you're investing in stocks, you realize that for a comparison to mean anything *at all* you need to know the number of shares outstanding. If you know that company A and company B are both 'worth' the exact same amount, knowing that company A's shares sell for $10, and company B's sell for $200, you still have *no idea* which is a better investment until you find out how many shares are outstanding.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:56 PM

As I work in the industry, subscribe to both, and have a good hand on the pulse of satellite radio, I will offer my expertise to any and all who will listen.

For the record, I am a Manufacturing Rep. for Clarion Car Audio-USA, who is a Sirius satellite member. I have a Clarion deck in my car, w/ Sirius...a Clarion plug and play at home, a Delphi XM at home, and a XM Commander in my truck, going AUX in. I know, sounds complicated, but I have been doing this for years.

Is Sirius a good stock...absolutely. People said cable and satellite TV would fail, and they are growing daily. People said cell phones would fail...who here does not have at least one? Satellite radio is the future, and a bright one. Sirius has huge investors, and has bigtime capital to secure them thru physcal 2005.

Is XM good stock? Probably so....I have both, but I think Sirius is much better.

Line-up differences...

Sirius is all about music, and all the music channels are commercial free....anything that could be piped in thru another company, may or may not have commercials. Sirius has NFL, college sports, and now Howard Stern. Comedy 147 is awesome, and they music is the best I have heard. They have 2 satellites that roam, and a large number of repeaters, so drop-out rarely happens. Usually a drop, is a stream update. I love Sirius...and like I said, I have both. Sirius is $12.99/month on the basic plan. With that...you get a FREE streaming account, to listen via the internet on any computer you log onto w/ highspeed!!! This is an awesome selling feature, and makes work fun when you are not in CRP.

XM....tons of commercials, good content, college sports, ACC especially, awesome comedy channel, XM150....and they have NASCAR exclusively till the end of 2005. $9.99/month on the basic plan, but you have to pay for the stream account, and their streaming SUCKS.

How can you get Satellite Radio in your car.....
1. Direct plug...replace your factory deck, add a box and antenna and play direct.
2. Plug-N-Play...the big ugly units that you can take in and out of car, home, boat, etc. This is good for people who are all over the place, and too cheap for multiple subscriptions... It works either FM modulated(plays thru the FM station on your dial), or has to be run into an AUX audio jack on your factory or aftermarket deck.
3. FM mod, w/ heads up....this is a permanent mount, FM pc...kinda like the XM commander, or the Clarion DSC920S/SIRCL1 combo.
4. listen via the internet
5. listen to a PNP kit via your home audio system.
6. listen to a PNP via a boombox

All units MUST HAVE AN ANTENNA....

I love Sirius....Satellite radio is here, and you may see new brands coming. Sirius will be streaming music videos to the car/computer 1st Qtr 2005.....and movies to come.

Not sure what XMs new deals are....I will do some more research.

Email me if you want to get hooked up....I have access to alot of stuff.

I hope this gives you guys some insight....i will be happy to answer Qs, emails, etc......
Old 10-13-2004, 01:01 PM

Also....on the claim of commercial free....

You have to remember, both companies can only control commercials, where they own the channel or programming in question.

All "SIRIUS" music channels are commercial free, as well as anything else that is SIRIUS programmed. Anything that is piped into Sirius, from someone else(like cable channels, ESPN, news, etc) can have all the commercials they want.

More of XM is piped into XM, so you have a ton more commercials. You listen to comedy 150 on XM, and you will get a 5 min. commercial block, almost every hour.

Sirius is much better, and they have much better technology.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:14 AM

Just a note regarding people "in the know." I don't really know a whole lot about who is good and who isn't, but the motley fool likes SIRI.