Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Poker and Life

Im sure there have been a million posts like this, but i almost cant take it anymore and was hoping some similar people on here can give me some advice etc. When i tell you my life story most of you will probably say stfu, you have it good and i do, but i still am having a hard time not wallowing in the conflict within me.

As a background, im 24, and have been a pro poker player for about 3 years. I got a bachelors degree in finance 2 years ago, and have now been dabbling in a masters program in econ part time just to mainly make it feel like i am "doing something with my life". Basically my parents, a few of my friends and one whole side of my family has a hard time accepting what i do even thought i make a six figure income which is more than most of them. They constantly are trying to talk me into getting a regular job, etc. I have a gf who is ok with it, that i have been dating for over a year. She is concerned what potential impact my proffession would have on a child if we were to get married. I have been smart with my money, buying a modest house and saving most of it, however many of my critics perceive me to have a gambling problem and be lazy. Ive been thinking a lot lately about walking away from poker to get a real job, mainly just so that the people around me will be more comfy with me. Additionally i hate the feeling that im not meeting peoples expectations of my life, especially when it comes to my parents.

Basically im stuck. Im stuck because going from 150-200k a year to 30-40k a year is a huge difference. Im stuck bc i dont want to go work behind a desk or wake up at 630 every morning. To many extents i like what i do, poker interests me in a way that nothing else really ever has, however i constantly feel guily and worry that i am "making nothing of my life". Anyways im not asking anyone to feel sorry for me, i just was hoping some of you would have some experience dealing with this or advice on how to progress from here. Thanks in advance,

DM
Old 11-13-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Poker and Life

Have you considered grinding away for a few more years and saving away several hundred K and possibly starting your own business or becoming an investor?

Those are more respectable professions, but more likely to be to your liking.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:20 PM

One big idea i have had is investing in real estate most likely rental type properties with cashflow, and as time goes by transitioning slowly away from poker into that. I figured the first step to that was buying a house for myself, soon i will be able to look into buying real estate that is more of an investment.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:27 PM

One thing I've learned is you've got to live your life for YOURSELF. You can't go around life trying to do things for your parents and/or anyone. Always trying to accomplish things in your life for other people does NOT lead to happiness. You have to live your life and do what makes you happy. It was explained to me in a much better way than I am explaining to you, but I can't find the words.

I'd suggest you sit down with these people and have a long serious talk with them. Let them know this is what YOU want to do and its what makes YOU happy. Its your life- DO NOT let it be controlled by other people.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:41 PM

Not to sound trite, but I had a similar experience when I was your age(not that I'm significantly older now). My experience was somewhat at the other end of the fiscal spectrum though. I used to do a lot of whitewater kayaking and at one time had a sponsorship from a kayak manufacturer(read- I was allowed to buy kayaks at cost). I loved the sport, the challenge of it, and loved being outdoors, getting to places most people never get to. For several years straight, I spent over 150 days/yr on rivers and creeks all over the US. I also did a lot of rock climbing.

The trouble is, to do that, I was living in the back of a pick up truck over 3/4's of the year. As much as I loved it, I always felt like I should be doing something more...like I should have a real job and a real home and be a contributing member of society. A lot of times I felt that I was getting that pressure from other people. However, I came to realize that the majority of that pressure was what *I thought* people expected of me(and maybe what I expected of myself) and not what people really expected of me. It wasn't until I sat there showing my dad some video of a trip I had done that it hit me...he looked at me and said, "I'm really envious of what you are doing." That made me realize that although what I was doing wasn't traditional, it was worthwhile and even respected by some.

I could go on(and on), but I just want to say a few quick things. First off, follow YOUR dreams. Don't let others lay their expectations and anxieties on you. If you were forced to give up something for someone, you would resent them forever. Don't give up if you really want this. IF you're doing the right things and making money at this, smile at the critics, say " thanks for your opinion," and move on. I'm always a big advocate of books...maybe reading some biographies on people that stepped out from the normal and did great things would help.

Oh yeah, when I felt like I needed to contribute to society, I decide to do some volunteer work. Good way to get out, meet different people and give back.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:41 PM

I'm in the same exact position as you. I'm 24 and I make all my money from poker but graduated with a degree in finance and real estate finance.

If you are interested in RE investing I would recommend getting you RE license. Most RE agents just sit at their desks all day and wait for leads. You can play poker while you are waiting.

I am about to get my RE license mostly because I'll have access to the MLS and will be able to find the deals. If you spend about 10 hours/week searching the MLS you should be able to find some undervalued properties. The RE license is nice because you get the commission when you buy your investments. Use the commission to pay for the closing costs and get 100% financing and then resell the undervalued home. It should take 1-4 months to sell the home. Try to think of the mortgage payments as a deferred down payment. Try to find deals(and they are out there) that have at least 50k equity built into them.

-Jeff
Old 11-13-2005, 06:18 PM

Sorry, I just have to say that you're username is rad. I loved Ernest Goes To The Pound-Me-In-The-A** State Penitentiary.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:26 PM

Live your life for YOU, not everyone else. It's hard, but you'll be much happier.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:38 PM

Appreciate all the responses, i know i should just be following my dreams. Seems a little hard to practice that philosophy i guess sometimes.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:05 PM

Reason #2,049,378 that poker makes a much better 2nd job.