Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 04:26 AM

Default A9 Top Pair, Out of Position on a Drawy Board

What's a good line here? I hate being out of position. The board was drawy so I wanted to deny a free card, but it seems like every time I use this line, I get raised on the turn and am forced into a tough spot.

Are there better ways to play it? Check-raise flop? Check-call turn? I'm assuming I'm not folding the flop...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($104.55)
UTG ($64.60)
UTG+1 ($90.15)
MP1 ($100)
MP2 ($137)
MP3 ($58.50)
CO ($82.35)
Button ($36)
Hero ($124.60)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $9</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, CO folds, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($23) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $35</font>, Hero folds.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: A9 Top Pair, Out of Position on a Drawy Board

Dump it on the flop.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming that I'm not folding on the flop...

[ QUOTE ]
Dump it on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed wrong [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 06:04 AM

Are you serious? You're going to get run over playing like this. Top pair top kicker, backdoor flush draw and you want to dump it to a min reraise?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:56 AM

There's such a large range of hands BB could have (especially since he's the BB) and you'd have to play this hand out of position, so I'd proceed with caution. Two options come to mind:

1) If you decide to bet out here (I don't think I would), I'd call the raise on the flop, but check and fold to a pot sized bet on the turn (or even 2/3 pot sized bet). If he checks the turn, I'm calling any non-diamond river.

2) Check the flop. You're going to be out of position and very confused by any raise. Someone here could have K9, Q9, J9, 109 or a draw (which you beat) or have 56, 55, 66, 78, 99 or 1010 which would be bad. This isn't a hand I'd want to be playing a big pot. I'd be excersizing a lot of pot control here. I'd want to see action develop. If one person pots it and all else fold, I'd call, but fold to turn agression.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Call his raise on the flop.

Check and fold to his reasonably sized bet on the turn.

You would be able to feel better about your hand if there was a raise preflop, but since there wasn't, anyone could have anything. If he was on a draw, then he played the flop like he wanted a free card, but now on the turn, he's not taking the free card anymore, which means that he already had you beat, or his 75 has you drawing to 2 outs.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:17 AM

5 way action.. drawheavy board.. I wait and see what the other players do...

As played I think I call the flop (a read would be nice) to catch two pair/trips or nutflushdraw (I would still proceed with caution as he may get the boat when you get trips and he also could have the straight already), perhaps be lucky enough to show it down. Calling is also probably better for your table image, not that I advocate spending loads of $$$s on table image, but it tips the decision just a tiny bit. A fold is also fine IMO

The turn lead is pretty bad.. You are building a pot OOP with what is probably the worst hand.. What are your plans for the river if he flatcalls on the turn?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call his raise on the flop.

Check and fold to his reasonably sized bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might as well save the $5 and fold to the flop raise, since you'll be folding the turn 90% of the time.

JKratzer
Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 PM

I would check-fold the turn to any reasonable bet. However, I would also check the flop. Betting into 4 people with a weak top pair and a draw heavy board is not profitable, IMHO.

Dumle
Old 12-05-2005, 02:08 PM

check this flop, with this pot so small your not getting out any draws and your bloating a pot when you are out of position in a situation that you are behind on a lot of times because it's 5 handed.

As played you have to check that turn.

Then when BB bet out with whatever he had