Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Question regarding spelling

Quite frequently when I see someone who I only know online spell a common word incorrectly (and it's clear that it's not a typo or just a shortening of the word so it's quicker to type), I think of them as less intelligent (unless English is not their first language, in which case I'm just amazed at their proficiency at all in comparison to my complete ineptitude at anything that's not English).

Firstly, everyone else thinks this too, right? Just to be clear btw I'm talking about people who I only know online, because when you know someone in person it's generally easier to gauge how intelligent you think they are.

Anyway, for those of you who do this, if you see someone write a word like "realise", "analyse" or "tyre", do you tend to assume they don't know how to spell or do you consider they might be British?

It bothers me slightly, I suppose, that people might be judging that I've made spelling errors when I haven't. Yes, I care too much about this, you don't need to tell me this.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Question regarding spelling

I think you're dumb because you can't spell properly. Take that however you will.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:22 PM

I think people who spell color with a 'u' are less intelligent. Does that count?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:23 PM

i spell words different all the time cuz im to lazy to think most of the time. So how ever i think it sounds is how it gets spelled. So i guess im stupid
Old 09-09-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, for those of you who do this, if you see someone write a word like "realise", "analyse" or "tyre", do you tend to assume they don't know how to spell or do you consider they might be British?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both
Old 09-09-2005, 02:26 PM

I consider someone less intelligent if they use "your, you're" incorrectly (which I see a lot). This also applies to usage of "there, their, they're."

Also people who spell words exactly like they sound are stupid too. Or German. Or both.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider someone less intelligent if they use "your, you're" incorrectly (which I see a lot). This also applies to usage of "there, their, they're."

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget "mah"
Old 09-09-2005, 02:28 PM

If you can't be bothered with spelling, pronunciation, and basic grammar, I definitely think of you as less intelligent. If you use "lol," "u," or one of the thousands of other AOLisms, I peg you as being less intelligent and a 14-year old girl. Ditto for excessive use of smileys.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also people who spell words exactly like they sound are stupid too. Or German. Or both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or how about all of the people around here in other forums who constantly use "loose" instead of "lose" or vice-versa..
Old 09-09-2005, 02:31 PM

if i see someone make a blatant spelling error in one of their posts, i automatically think less of that person. some spelling errors go against you more than others.

if you say that someone's logic is rediculous, i ignore you.