Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 02:21 PM

Default SNG v Ring v Multi Bankroll (re: Woodguy)

Question:

I noticed in Woodguy's response to Maulik's question about $10 buy-ins vs $10 satellites the following:

"Are you using your ring game roll or starting an MTT roll?"

and didn't want to respond in that post as it would have been off-topic.

It seems conventional wisdom on the Multi Forum is to use SNG or Ring profit to bankroll Multis. Woodguy's question alluded to the idea of keeping seperate rolls (which is what I currently do), so as to better track my success/failure rate across different types of games. I am a consistent winner in SNGs and am trying to increase the frequency (and ROI) on my break-even Multi Table play.

Do you think:
1. Keeping seperate rolls is necessary?
2. Should I build up my Multi Roll on its own merits, or, not be hesitant about "transferring" funds from SNG profits in that BR?

I put most of my roll into SNG play at the beginning of the year so I can play $20 and $30 tables, which I do well at, but wanted enough to keep my ROR miniscule (they are at 0.00%) with my then $2000 and now $3000 bankroll (after cashouts).

Thanks in advance for any advice and insight.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: SNG v Ring v Multi Bankroll (re: Woodguy)

I essentially bankrolled my MTT's with SnG winnings until the MTT sustained themselves. Starting out was a real bitch as you need to make some FT's to get the MTT roll going, and since poker is a hobby, I had no problem using SnG funds for MTTs.

Now that I mainly play MTT's I essentially keep one roll, albeit on 4 different poker sites and cash for B&M games.

I really have no advice or insight. Sorry.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-08-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

typical......

but just joking, just felt like ragging on someone
Old 08-08-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sums up my existence here at 2+2. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 PM

Keeping seperate bankrolls is dangerous.

In Finance, there is a theory that says that one of the reasons markets are ineficient, and that many investors lose money is they use favorable 'mental accounting'

For instance, they seperate their portfolio into winners and losers, and try to hold onto the losers until they break even. Or they do the opposite and quickly sell losers and only keep their winners. Basically they take no time to look at the 'big picture' and end up making bad decisions.

That can be the case with poker players as well. There is no reason to keep seperate bankr rolls for record keeping. If the only record you keep is how much your $$ goes up and down, they are general to the point of being useless anyway.
What it can do, is cause you too look at your MTT portion and say, "man I really need to concentrate here, I am barely breakeven at MTTs, where I am winning at SNGs". As far as profit, they are the same thing, "YOUR MONEY".

Now I can understand keeping a certain level of $$ that you will not dip below (whatever you need for your SNG play). But what you need to be calculating is hours, ROI, ROR, etc for each type of poker you play, having seperate bankrolls in no way aids that.

Think of your profits as YOU
think of the games you play as individual, yet completely linked components of you. It is too easy (I am guilty myself) of mentally seperating these components, "I am a winning XXX player, but I lose it all at YYY" is a dangerous way to look at your game if you are serious about it. When you keep everything together, it is easier to see each component's effect on the whole. i.e. I only made 8$/hr this month, I wonder why? Ohhhh...I played 19hrs of MTTs for -7$ profit.

FWIW, I dont think you are doing any of the these things, but I wanted to post this for the general pop.

Also, if you are a casual player, forget what I just wrote, this was more for the aspiring pros among you.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:38 AM

great post A_Plus.