Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Borgata hand

First time posting.

I'm the big stack with ~$4K in a 10 handed ring game. I'm raising more than my fair share of pots PF and have shown a tendency to continue firing on the flop with the right board and a limited field. I'm probably viewed as LAG.

Villian joined the table about 90 minutes ago and has ~$1K. The impression I've formed of him is that he's playing above his limits. Too eager to fold under pressure and has only shown down one hand (which he won): pocket aces on a queen high, completely ragged board. I'd label him weak-tight.

The only other guy in the hand has about $2K and is the only guy at the table who has shown an inclination to play back at me. Here's the hand:

Blinds are $5/$10. Villan is SB, I'm UTG+2 with two black 8s, other guy is CO. Folds to me and I raise to $60. CO and SB both call.

Flop is Jh, Jd, Qc. Checks around.

Turn is 8h.

SB checks; I bet $200; both guys call.

River is 2d.

SB pushes.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Borgata hand

Normally Id shove this, but with ur description of sb, i dont know....id hav to be in the situation, but i would tend to fold GIVEN THAT DESCRIPTION
Old 06-05-2005, 02:35 PM

flat call.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Normally Id shove this, but with ur description of sb, i dont know....id hav to be in the situation, but i would tend to fold GIVEN THAT DESCRIPTION

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the description is nearly strong enough to fold eights full here for a less-than-pot-sized bet. I also don't see much value in pushing because your remaining opponent is very unlikely to call a push and a re-push with anything you're beating and he's certainly not folding anything better than eights full.

SpaceAce
Old 06-05-2005, 10:25 PM

I was playing the same game Friday night and Saturday afternoon. If it was one of those times and you don't mind what was villian wearing, where did he seat?

topout
Old 06-05-2005, 11:39 PM

Why do you raise so much here pf? Is 6x BB standard open raise?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Borgata hand - Results

I flat called. CO mucked. SB showed me pocket QQ (note he did not re-raise me PF).

I've been beating myself up over this hand. Given villian's play up to that point, I was virtually certain he would not put all his money in the middle without having the nuts or second nuts....but I just couldn't get away from my smaller full house. Expensive lesson learned.

The hand happened the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Villian was in seat #8, early to mid 20s, goatee, black shirt.

I was opening for anywhere from 3BB to 6BB. No reason why I'd open for different amounts other than to mix things up a bit.