Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Party 10+1: Overpair on the flop with a 77

What would you do here?

Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: playandpray ( $840 )
Seat 2: GypsyHghside ( $610 )
Seat 3: icheckfold ( $1636 )
Seat 5: Bigrotnast ( $715 )
Seat 7: GoDomers1 ( $782 )
Seat 8: segaman7631 ( $715 )
Seat 9: hero ( $2185 )
Seat 10: DeuceCourt ( $517 )
Level:3 Blinds(25/50)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ 7c 7h ]
GypsyHghside calls [50].
icheckfold folds.
Bigrotnast calls [50].
2 fold
hero calls [50].
DeuceCourt calls [25].
playandpray checks.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 3d, 6d, 3s ]
DeuceCourt checks.
playandpray bets [85].
GypsyHghside calls [85].
Bigrotnast folds.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Party 10+1: Overpair on the flop with a 77

I'd show aggression, probaly bet more than the pot and if i got re-raised fold.

Or depending on my read on my opponent i might check and re-raise him. In this situation alot of people bet out as a bluff, but you NEED to fold if they dont cave in as they probaly have the 3. Only do this when very few people are in the pot, as the more people the odds of someone having trips are dramatically increased. It also depends on the trip card type, for instance someone having trip aces is much more common cause Aces are a card people hang on to. 3's are a very uncommon card so that works to your advantage. You need to convince your opponent that you have a 3 or a good hand, while not losing your stack to someone who has the 3.

I probaly wouldn't play 77 with that many people in the pot.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:11 PM

i would raise to about 250 to see where your at, if you get reraised you can safely fold. there are a few things to worry about with this flop. first off, the big blind checked preflop so he could have anything. He could have one of the two 3's, he could have something like 45, or any two diamonds and the caller could have the other 3 or a flush draw. doubtful on the straight draw because i doubt utg would call with a 45 or a 24. so i would raise it to about 250 or 300 and see what happens, chances are if the 3 is not out there you will win right there, if you are called play w/ caution, id fire another one out if checked to me on a non diamond 4th street.

Jim [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 05:13 PM

Momma always said 1) "don't get broke in an unraised pot", and 2) "no set, no bet". But . . .

There is 420 in the pot, and 85 to call. You have ~2100 chips left, more than anyone. You can't get broke with this hand. But it is early in the tourney, and there's a long way to go.

First, the BB. Does he have a 3? Maybe, but probably not, since most who flop trips with 2 on the board check the flop. And an $85 bet at a $250 pot is paltry. My guess is he has a 6, or a 4-5 or diamond draw and is trying to control the betting.

Now, the UTG limper. He could have a bigger pair than 77. If not, he certainly has overcards to 77 or a diamond draw. Or possibly A6 or A3.

There is a decent chance you are ahead. Given your stack size, I would call. If an ace or diamond does not hit the turn, you might pick up the pot. Or, if you want to find out exactly where you're at, you can raise it.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:31 PM

This is a pot raise or fold. I would choose the pot raise only because your stack can take the hit. You are very likely ahead at the moment, therefore you don't want to price in any draws with a weaker raise. I think a call is the worst option - why let everyone see the turn when it's likely to be an overcard or another diamond? Put them to the test now.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:31 PM

I dont think its a good idea to get too aggresssive with this hand.

77 is vulnerable here for sure. there is a possible diamond draw or str8 draw, or possible a made hand of a set or boat even. No telling what the two blinds have.

The bet is low enough to make a call and see a cheap turn. I hate hands like this and they are easy to g broke on if you dont show some restraint. Id make a play at the turn if it isnt a dangerous card.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:33 PM

I decided to fold here. I thought that even a pot sized bet would not be likely to get both of them to fold. I don't like calling either, even though the bet is small, since I am certainly not going to the river and showdown for free after that, and my pair of sevens is pretty crappy with two opponents and two cards to come. It might be a good idea to see the turn card and base my decisions on that, but I am not so sure about what they would be like.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:37 PM

I was chasing a set with the 7's. I can't see how there can be too many people in the pot. Or do you mean after the flop?