Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Why Was I A D*ck?

For those that didn't read the original post we get to the top 3 and the guy in 3rd has been sitting out for awhile and it doesn't look like he's coming back. He has a few hundred less chips than 2nd place guy who I have covered by 3x.

I raise every hand all-in and when he tells me to chill and wait for the other guy to bust I tell him that I don't have to wait but he does.

Apparently I am a dick for using positive EV plays? I should just collude and split the blinds even though I can take them all down if I want?

What did I do that was unethical? He was the one wanting to collude and I was the one doing whatever I could to maximize my tournament EV. Explanation please.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Why Was I A D*ck?

I think one thread about this very important matter was more than enough. You can and should do whatever is +$EV for you, no matter what others think, as long as you don't cheat or collude. That's about it. I don't undersatnd why you are so interested in what some on-line player types in the chat box during the game or when it's over. I really don't get it. Play your best poker, that's all.

And BTW, raising all-in constantly with every hand, is probably not the best way to go. You are begging for a call, and it will come at some point. Most chances you won't be ahead. And a 3:1 chip lead SH, in NL, is not huge.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:46 PM

Maybe it was just a misunderstanding and everyone thought you were asking if you were a Duck.

I'm guessing that "yes" responses may have been more about the tone of your chat and description of the situation than your actual play/all-in raising in the SNG to maximize EV.

Maybe we should start a 3rd thread with a poll to see if people were thinking of you as deck, dick, dock or duck?

J

Old 08-12-2004, 04:56 PM

FWIW - your play was not the dick part.

If you want to raise, raise, raise, your chips, your choice.

But why get involved in a verbal war with this guy? That's where I think you were a dick.

Saying "I don't have to wait, but you do" - that doesn't sound conceited?

Don't get me wrong - he was a dick too.

But as we all know 2 dicks don't make a ?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:57 PM

But I was right. I didn't have to wait, and he did.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:59 PM

Yes you were right.

But you don't have to be a smart ass and rub it to this guy who is behind.

If you can't see why that's a d-ck move, then I can't help you.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:07 PM

I did it because I wanted to help him understand that he shouldn't call with K8 in the future. To maximize my EV.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:58 PM

it's highly possible your being a d*ck to him made him play tougher vs. you, reducing your EV...

in fact, he beat you, didn't he...which part was about maximinzing your EV again?

RB
Old 08-12-2004, 06:00 PM

First of all not only are you a dick, but your a dumb dick. It's no surprise that this guy went on to win the game. Only a dick would go all-in on every hand, eventually he's going to get some decent cards and bust you, which sounds like is exactly what happened. Were you afraid to play him after the flop? Only a dick would start not one but two threads, letting us all know what a dick he is. Moving all in wasn't the dick part of it, talking about it was.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 PM

...so is mentioning the word dick more times than you have posts on this board in a single sentence.