Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Hit a set now what

Hero has $56
Villain has $49
UTG has $49

Hero has J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in EP

UTG raises to $1
Hero raises to $2.50
villain raises to $5
UTG calls

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] pot=15
Hero bets $5
Villain calls
UTG calls

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] pot=29
UTG checks
Hero bets $10
villain calls
UTG calls

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Jesus fukin christ
UTG checks
Hero checks
Villain bets $12
UTG calls
Hero calls

Villain shows A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

WTF

Then villain leaves the game of course like usual.

I asked him why he called a $10 bet on the turn with nothing and he said he was prepared to go to the end with the hand.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Hit a set now what

make your pre-flop reraise bigger. to 3.5 or so.

check the flop. too many people are too interested in this pot. if you do bet, bet more. you bet 1/3 pot, make it about 3/4 pot.

bet more on the turn. there are a lot of draws out now. bet 2/3 - 3/4 of the pot. you also want to get the most money in with the best of it.

i think you should fold on the end. your hand is now behind 8 cards. if you had 3rd pair, you'd be behind 6 cards, and i'm guessing you wouldn't overcall on the river with 3rd pair.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:31 PM

Why do guys reraise with A K . You might as well reraise with A 5 too. If you don't hit an A or K, the hand isn't worth much. I figured they'd both fold to a $10 bet on the turn. I guess I figured wrong. I guess I didn't realize just how stupid they were. I think on these tables I should consider them stupid unless proven otherwise.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:32 PM

Push on the turn. Too many draws. You must win or lose it there.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured they'd both fold to a $10 bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are giving them 4:1 to call. This is not a big bet. You need to start making your bet sizes with consideration of what's in the pot, how much your opponent has, how much you have, what the board looks like, what your cards are, what the previous action is like, etc, etc, etc.

So many of your posts state something like: "I can't f'n believe they called $10 with <insert random hand here>". In almost all situations the "big bet" that you made is not sizeable at all in comparison to the pot.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:55 PM

Totally unremarkable hand. Bet more on the flop, push on the turn.

NT
Old 02-28-2005, 03:14 PM

Well, I've just lost everything that I made yesterday off of 3 bad beats. What now ? 2 of the bad beats was from idiots who couldn't fold A K .
Old 02-28-2005, 03:40 PM

I can't believe i'm responding to one of your posts. If these pots aren't trolls then you are truly amazing.
I'm going to say this once slowly and loudly so be sure you listen:

T H I S I S N O T A B A D B E A T.

The guy made a bad call in relation to the actual odds of him winning the hand. However, put yourself in his shoes for a minute. You made a wimpy ass bet at the pot...so you may have only one pair, and it might not even be a queen. His Ace outs are maybe good...his king outs put a bunch to a straight up there, so they might not be good. He *might* give himself as many as 4 straight outs, and 4 ace outs. If he has 8 outs it's not that bad a call...8 out of 44 cards, so around 5 to 1, and he stands to win more on the river...making it at least a marginal call. You have to bet the size of the pot here....that would make his call wrong in any instance other than an already made straight or a set of queens or something. I don't think there is any way he calls $30 with a gutshot straight draw. It sucks that you lost, it sucks that he called with his gutshot but you lost this pot because of your bad play...even bad players fold to the $30 bet. So he hit a 4 outer to beat you...cry me a river...its a bad beat when they hit runner runner after an all in, or they hit a 1 outer to make some straight flush or something...this is just a common every day occurence.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:48 PM

You let yourself get run down by a bad player. You should know that bad players don't lay down hands like overcards as they should. Therefore you need to get the money in sooner.

He probably thought you were utterly full of it based on your weak betting, and if he was the type of player who could actually count outs, he would have given himself way more than 4.

NT
Old 02-28-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I've just lost everything that I made yesterday off of 3 bad beats. What now ? 2 of the bad beats was from idiots who couldn't fold A K .

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to stop losing money, the first thing is to stop assuming the other person is the idiot.

You are berating him for calling a $10 bet with a nut gut-shot (the fact its a nut gut-shot is very important, because it stands to make A LOT of money if someone else also hits a straight), and 2 over cards (ok, it happens these overcards are worthless, but he does not know this for certain), now if he can get you both to call big bets on the river should he hit, he is probably getting some implied odds, or close it it. So while yes it might not of been the best call from him, the $12 call from YOU was worse on the river.

All of which could of been avoided by a larger bet on the turn, (of at least $20), if they call then and catch, then go ahead and winge (it wont achieve anything, but if it makes you feel better), but dont winge until your first playing perfectly.