Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 11:54 PM

Default First hand of an SnG - Dealt AA

I also posted this in Poker Theory, but I would like to hear responses from people who play mostly SnG's.

Say you are playing an SnG tourney, relatively low buy-in. First hand you are dealt AA. Do you think it would be a +EV move to push all-in right away? My reasoning is that in many cases, I would not be surprised to get a call, or maybe even more than one. People that have no reads on you may just think you are being an idiot, and call with holdings such as 88-KK, AK, KQ or even some worse hands. Doubling up off the first hand would always be nice.

What do you think of this play? Also, would your response be different for different situation, such as being on the button with a lot of limpers, or being UTG? I was referring to around $10+1 or so, but, how effective might this be in the higher buy-ins?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: First hand of an SnG - Dealt AA

i think you have a better chance of getting callers if you raise 5-6BB rather than pushing

Robbie
Old 01-16-2005, 02:38 AM

I like pushing... best case you get a caller worst case you get a loose image.. i think this is fine and is what i do when i get ace ace within the first 10 hands
Old 01-16-2005, 02:47 AM

On the first hand of a 10+1, UTG, push every time.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the first hand of a 10+1, UTG, push every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya on PP, but in $30+ buyins and and pokerstars only AK JJ QQ KK AA prob wouldcall you (this is not always ofcourse). For me I would rather not waste a good hand and just fast play it, run it to around 5-10 BB raise
Old 01-16-2005, 06:43 AM

IMHO, you obviously have not played enough SnGs. We all agree that we think AA is best hand PF. And the typical calling hands, AA will dominate.

What you're missing is that even if you lose, there's always another SnG ready to go. So play you're odds. Doubling up early can lead to bubble survival.

BTW, I doubt you'll get a caller if you just push. Might want to ease into it a little with a 150 raise or something.