Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-10-2005, 05:31 PM

Default My landlord wants to increase our rent at the end of our lease...

So my landlord sent my roommate and I a letter today which says that he needs to know by January 16th whether or not we'll be staying through August 2007 (our lease is up August '06). Anyways, he is closing off the living room and turning it into a 3rd bedroom. Right now, for 2 bedrooms, it is $600 plus utilities. Now it is going to be $900 plus utilities.

Anyways, this seems like kind of a crappy deal since there is some stuff wrong with this place that should probably be taken care of before he makes a 3rd bedroom. EVERYTHING is outdated. We are good tenants. Neither of us drink, smoke, or have parties.

So, would my best play be to tell him to fix other stuff before we pay $900 or try and get the rent down? Which would seem more reasonable?

My read on him is that he is a sissy--not sure if he has a lot of $$ or not. This is only his second property.

I mean I kind of want to stay for the convenience factor. Not having to move again would be pretty cool, and this place isn't all that bad except for some of the stuff that needs fixed.

So what is my play? I don't really want to piss him off or anything.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: My landlord wants to increase our rent at the end of our lease...

Sounds like Kelly, pleaseeeeeeeee tell me you don't rent from them? I seriously want to firebomb their offices!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 05:33 PM

when/how exactly is he "closing off the living room and turning it into a 3rd bedroom"?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:41 PM

If comparable rentals are cheaper than $900, then find some of them and show him the listings for them. You can then probably negotiate a little further down by pointing out that you've been model tenants.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:45 PM

Not Kelly. No management or anything to go through. Just one dude who owns 2 properties.

He is closing off the room during 1 week in the summer, working during the day while I'm at work.

I can't find comparable places that are cheaper because there isn't that much listed until February or March.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is closing off the room during 1 week in the summer, working during the day while I'm at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems a little sketchy to me. If you want, you can probably just not let him do that until after your lease runs out, which would be a pain for him. You might be able to use that as some sort of bargaining chip to haggle the rent down a bit. Other than that, you seem screwed.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:58 PM

As a landlord I can tell you:

1) You certainly don't need to be deciding now whether you want to renew your lease for 9/06-8/07. Although he might like some idea now, it's awfully early to be getting tenants to decide whether they want to renew nine months from now.

2) Right now you are paying $300/each plus utilities for a personal bedroom, and shared bathroom, living room, kitchen. After the "renovation," you will be paying the same rent but losing a living room, meaning it will be more like living in a dorm or a rooming house.

3) No way would I allow him to begin shutting off the living room during the summer, while you remain a lawful tenant. He only has the right to make necessary repairs, and to show the place to potential tenants if you will be moving. Otherwise, you have the right to full, quiet enjoyment of the entire apartment for as long as you are a lawful tenant. Make sure if you don't plan on staying that he knows that you know your rights.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:00 PM

I'm confused. How can he turn your living room into a bed room if you are still living there?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:01 PM

My play would be to agree in principle and you'll sign the new lease once the work is done. You then can decide once the work is done if it is worth it.

If that doesn't fly, tell him that you won't be renewing. Finding a new place in Oakland is no problem at all come April/May.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:05 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking we might try and go for a different place.

I dunno, we're actually under the lease of the management company (even though he owns the place now) and we don't have a lease under him yet at all. He wants us to sign one from 1/16 or whatever until 08/07. I don't think I feel comfortable with this.

And to chesspain, since we don't actually have a lease under this guy, if we decide not to live here can we still enjoy our peace and quiet all summer?