Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Limped pot 100-200

Somewhat aggressive and very fishy guy limped in EMP. Tricky overly loose LAG Derbish type player calls in the SB. I check in the BB with J6o

Flop is JT8 rainbow

I usually go for the check-raise or check 3-bet in this spot. I have friends who usually would just bet the flop. How about you guys?

BTW I think the limper bets here atleast 90 percent of the time and probably pretty close to 100
Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Limped pot 100-200

"BTW I think the limper bets here atleast 90 percent of the time and probably pretty close to 100"

than that's your answer. you lose value by not check-raising or reraising here. if limper will bet A3o here than you must go for the c/r. betting is a mistake, there's really no thread here.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:37 PM

OK, just a check-up then I guess...I almost always go for the C/R, but some great players I know say they often will just lead here. I have always agreed with your point Mike that I lose way too much value in this small pot. My guess is a few others on this board lead here a lot too, so hopefully this helps someone. Anyone disagree with Mike?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:40 PM

Maybe the better question is what percantage of the time does the limper need to check with no pair to make leading better
Old 12-12-2005, 08:43 PM

It is player dependent obviously, but usually I will go for a checkraise.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:50 PM

I'd check-raise here most of the time.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:54 PM

Given the way you framed the problem I can't see why a good player would argue for leading out here.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:04 PM

Yea they more said, "I often lead here but it would be pretty easy to convince me that check raising is better". Anyways I just threw it up on the board as a check-up. Im sure this spot is a small leak in some peoples games who are glad I did. Is it worth talking about what % of bets we need from the limper to just lead here, or is playing it by feel like im sure most of us do probably close to perfect anyways?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the better question is what percantage of the time does the limper need to check with no pair to make leading better

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd also have to look at how often the limper raises or calls a bet with a worse hand, and also how often the LAG in the small blind will either: checkraise a bet and a call, checkraise a check and a bet, overcall the flop, or call after a check and a bet with a hand worse than yours.

I intuitively think checkraising is clearly better here, but the issue is more complicated than your above question makes it seem.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:50 PM

I bet here a very high percentage of the time. if you play with these players often then you need to strike a balance. I also like to lead on flop like 8 4 3 when i'm in the bb and try and take it down. if you dont lead into rag flops ith nothing then check raising is fine. but if you lead a lot without hands they have to see that you lead with top pair so that your other leads have some weight.