Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-08-2005, 02:49 PM

Default 20-40 lucky chances - demand to see hand mucked on turn

Played in the 20-40 limit game at Lucky Chances last night (and had a nice run). The floor made a ruling that was surprising to me. I had AQ in the big blind. No pre-flop raise. 3 players see the flop (the button, small blind and me), which is all low cards. Checked around. Turn is an ace. Small blind bets, and I raise. button calls, and small blind re-raises. Before I can act, button says to the dealer to "protect the muck" because he wants to see my hand. In other words, even if I decide to muck right there (before the river), he wants my hand kept (face down) seperately from the muck so that he can see it after the hand. I respond that it's only the TURN, and if I decide to muck before a river showdown, he doesn't get to see my hand. Floor comes over and tells me that I am wrong - that even if I muck the turn, he has the right to see my hand after the hand is completed, and that the dealer should maintain it face down separate from the muck. I indeed muck (correctly putting the small blind on a set), button also mucks, and then the button gets to see my hand. Is this the correct ruling? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: 20-40 lucky chances - demand to see hand mucked on turn

The floor is totally wrong and you are right. He would only have the right to see a called hand at showdown, not a discarded hand on the turn. He sounds like a prick and the floor sounds incompetant.

That said, I believe the house has the right to see any discarded hand so if he presented a clear reason why he thinks you were cheating or the deck was bad or whatever, then they might allow it. But obv, that's not the case here - he just wants to see what you moved him off his hand with. To say that this hand can be shown shows the floor is an idiot IMHO.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2005, 03:09 PM

Default that\'s about a big pile of bull pucky

First off, kick the a-hole in the friggin' nuts for pulling this type of bullchit. You CAN'T ask to see a hand mucked on the turn, you can only ask to see a hand called on the river, assuming he was trying to invoke the "IWTSTH rule."

The floor proves their complete ignorance, incompetence, and desperate need for a good nut-kicking with their idiotic decision to have your hand shown! Holy cow Batman, what a friggin' incompetent moron.

Now IF there was collusion suspected, the floor should (and does, as far as I am concerned) have the right to inspect the hand to check for collusion. However, The floor doesn't have to reveal the contents if there was no collusion. The general public at the table can't just ask to see any hand at any time. This is really so obvious I feel redundant having to point it out at all.

Holy cow, what a mess! I'd have a sore foot by the end of that one. WHAM! IN THE NUTS!!!!

al
Old 12-08-2005, 03:11 PM

It's a bad ruling. Which floorman made this ruling?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a bad ruling. Which floorman made this ruling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also interested to know what floorman made this ruling.

Did you expose your hand in anyway during the hand? If so, then they can see your hand. Otherwise, terrible ruling.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:28 PM

Raise preflop.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the responses. In fairness, my description should have included that when I looked at my hand again on the turn, the players to my left (who were out of the hand) could have seen my cards. I wasn't deliberately showing them, and there was certainly no collusion. But I think that the Floor thought that this was a "show one, show all" issue - even though it was on the turn, and even though I mucked before the river. The Floor was a woman in her 40s/50s who I don't usually have interactions with. Thanks for your comments.