Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 05:47 AM

Default passive AKo

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

usually I threebet with this hand but I opted to just call this time.
Villain is unknown since itīs only my 2:nd orbit at this table...

UTG ($482)
MP ($874.2)
Hero ($401.5)
Button ($233)
SB ($486.7)
BB ($567.4)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $12, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($30) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

Turn: ($70) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $50</font>, Hero calls $50.

River: ($170) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $120</font>, Hero calls $120.

Final Pot: $410
Old 07-07-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Re: passive AKo

I think I would raise this flop, barring that I prolly raise river.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:27 PM

In my humble opinion...you've got to muscle this guy from the start. I think you should have put in about a $50 pre flop raise here. Raising UTG like he did says big pair. A big preflop like this might get him off KK or QQ. If he calls you might be in trouble. The only big hand you beat hear is KK after the flop. If he checks the flop throw in another big raise and he comes over the top of you ditch it.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:03 AM

Well-played, imo. If he had AQ or QQ, then so be it.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:13 AM

This is 6-max. UTG raise means very little.

Re-raising or calling preflop are both fine. It depends on a lot of factors we are not privy to. If he were really loose it's a nice re-raise.

IMO the only street on this hand you can raise is flop. I don't really like raising the river all that much. (again, it's dependent) Occassionally you will get a call from AT/AJ, but for the most part you're going to have picked off a bluff or run into a monster. Triple barrel firings are usually one or the other.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my humble opinion...you've got to muscle this guy from the start.

[/ QUOTE ]

In MY humble opinion, putting someone on KK/QQ preflop then trying to make them fold is just dumb unless you know the player EXTREMELY well. If you know they have a big pair and you really want to get funky, raise the flop when an ace hits. If they stay in you're beat, if not you're good.

JKratzer
Old 07-08-2005, 06:59 AM

Default results and thoughts.

Villain flipped over AQ and MHING
Preflop I think itīs good to either reraise or call in this spot. Since i didnīt have a read on the guy yet I opted to just call. No big deal I think...

On the flop I am only behind AQ AA (not so likely )and QQ. and ahead of a lot of other potential holdings.
He could be betting a flushdraw or more likely he is betting to protect his hand. Only hand a raise would be good against here is if he holds 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. If he holds a smaller Ace than me he will still fire at the turn to protect his hand.

Turn comes and doesnīt change anything much. Some hands I could have been ahead of on the flop is not so likely anymore, like KK and JJ and KQ.
He keeps betting very strong. I really canīt see anything other than calling here being correct. Only hands I am ahead of now is AJ or an aggressively played flushdraw.

River comes and really doesnīt change much. the only hand I was behind on the Turn that iīm not behind now is AA (since itīs no longer possible for that holding to exist), other than that itīs status quo. So I just call hoping to split with AK beat an overplayed AJ or snapped of a busted flushdraw...

I am convinced that raising this river is clearly -EV. somebody prove me wrong?