Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: WSOP- No party poker apparel?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No. The value of advertising at the most visible poker event is easily more than 2 million dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

statements like this make it obvious you know nothing about advertising. if it's "easily" 2 million dollars, then is it worth 5 million? 10 million? how do you put the $ figure on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You use numbers, just like PP undoubtedly did.

In a traditional sense, it would be easy to make a case that this is worth nowhere near $2MM. $2MM would buy a Superbowl ad, giving exposure to 1000-2000x the number of viewers of the WSOP (yes).

However ...

PP has a cost of acquisition of probably around $50-75. In order to justify a $2MM payout (or $5MM, or $10MM, or $10K for that matter), they need to sign up 30-40,000 new members as a direct result.

Can they do this if Kanter holds the chip lead for a while, they show his girlfriend a few times, and he puts in a 4th raise with King-5? (airing on ESPN this very minute)

No. And if they paid the $2MM (color me skeptical), then they overpaid.

How about, however, if Kanter wins? Can you even begin to quantify the Moneymaker effect for Pokerstars? $2MM becomes the bargain of the century.

I guess PP was ready to gambool.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$2MM would buy a Superbowl ad, giving exposure to 1000-2000x the number of viewers of the WSOP (yes).

[/ QUOTE ]

consider that he's wearing the shirt for more than just 30 seconds of air-time.
Also consider that the WSOP re-runs on ESPN roughly 9-zillion times (it's on again right now).

The super-bowl ad: you get your 30 seconds (with a huge audience..granted) and it's over.

FWIW - On party, they already give you the airfare as part of the prize package.
They either have an 'agreement' in their wording that you wear the stuff for some of their tournaments. But if you decide not to there's not much they can do.
They can't revoke your entry....you're already seated in the tournament.

On Stars: If you agree to wear their stuff then give you the hotel-room at the WSOP for free. This like getting a free $1000 roughly just for wearing their gear.

With over 1000 players having qualified through Stars it's not like they were actually checking everyone who was supposed was actually wearing it.
I even think they would readily admit that you could easily get-away with getting the free room and NOT wearing it if you really wanted to do that.

Obviously once you get down to the final 200 players or so they're probably looking at the names and table-assignments more closely just to see which of their players were still alive. but, again, at that point if you just didn't want to wear it they could only say "but you agreed to."

I don't like wearing poker stuff because I just think it's usually ugly.
but I was extremely grateful to Stars for giving an extra $1k in value to me (that did NOT come out of the prize-pool) for the hotel-accomodations and I thought it was very classy.
So I gladly pimped their gear at both tourneys I played in.

They gave you about 8 or so shirts I think (t-shirts and golf-shirts) as well as a couple of hats and visors and a red Stars jacket.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:45 AM

that was my point [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I just get tired of people throwing around $ figures like they have no idea what they mean. if people took the time to think (like you did), they would be better off
Old 11-23-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
consider that he's wearing the shirt for more than just 30 seconds of air-time.
Also consider that the WSOP re-runs on ESPN roughly 9-zillion times (it's on again right now).

The super-bowl ad: you get your 30 seconds (with a huge audience..granted) and it's over.

[/ QUOTE ]

also consider that seeing a "Party Poker" shirt for 30 seconds isn't as valuable as watching a Party Poker ad for 30 seconds. even if the shirt is visible, it's not 100% in the viewers concsiousness - he may be thinking about the hand, how ugly the guy is, people in the background, etc...
Old 11-25-2005, 09:28 PM

What if you wear an Elmo head instead?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recall reading somewhere that Black said Party didn't treat him right about something, so he switched over to FTP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you were able to switch, if you so desire. I made a ESPN final table in one of the preliminary events and the day of the final table, Marco Trianello (he was in that FT also) advised me to talk with the Full Tilt guys since they could give me some money to wear their stuff. Problem was they needed per Harrahs rules to have your name before the event in order for Harrahs to allow it; since I didnt sign with them before the event I wasn't able to do it.

Maybe they changed the rules for the ME but that is really unlikely; and the name of Andy Black should have been for sure in the Party Poker list. I wonder how he was able to wear the Full Tilt gear.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:45 PM

If Kanter really was able to bag a 2 mil contract to wear the PP gear, he is now officially the man.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Kanter really was able to bag a 2 mil contract to wear the PP gear, he is now officially the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. I would have agreed to the few hundred k offer in a heartbeat.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd wear a giant bumblebee outfit with the poker sites logo written on my forehead for 2 million if I made it to the ME Final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if they'd let you bring a special-needs pet to the table..

[/ QUOTE ]

that picture makes cry with laughter everytime i see it. i can't help it.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:06 AM

You only have to wear their gear if you opt to stay in the hotel they provide with package. I don't know if Kanter or Black did so...but,yeah.
Mike