Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 10:07 PM

Default spirit rock hand

25/50 NL UB HU, game just becamse HU i was about to leave. I raise on button to 150 he calls i have AQo, flop is 7c 3 2h, he checks i check. turn is td, he bets $300 I call, river is 6s, he thinks a while and bets $2500.

i think there's a good chance he's bluffing but even if he's bluffing maybe he has a lower pair... oh yeah i could raise all in, that jst occured to me, thoghts? (he only has 2k left behind him thogh)
Old 02-09-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: spirit rock hand

If you think he is bluffing raise the turn.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 PM

I'd pass. That looks like he put you squarely on AK, AQ, KQ, and is either suspiciously overbetting a marginal hand he knows is good or doing his trademark overbet w/ the (near) nuts.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 AM

This hand can't be responded to intelligently without a good description of the speed at which he has been playing and other such factors.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:10 AM

Do you ever bet/raise Bruiser?

If you always play this passively of course SR is going to bluff 2500 with only 2000 behind, its a good bet by him as he knows you know you can't get him to fold and you've played so passively he probably puts you on missed overcards (PF raise all the checking).

I'm not judging your play but if you always play this passively short handed NL isn't for you.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand can't be responded to intelligently without a good description of the speed at which he has been playing and other such factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of you who occasionally like to sweat this game know what a valid observation this is. The way SR plays at a full game, shorthanded, and HU, and whether he stuck or not, have a great bearing on the way he plays. And he is at his deadliest very shorthanded and HU, simply because he puts into constant practice the TOP admonition that someone who is always betting can have the best of it, but in a more sophisticated manner by waiting to take action until the turn or river.

He obviously read the poster for high cards that didn't hit and he will often make a continuation bluff on the river if called on the turn. Since he is well known for making overbets with the nuts, he puts maximum pressure on the opponent when he is totally bluffing. Plus being as sophisticated as he is, and sensing nothing other than high cards for his opponent, he in some circumstances would be equally capable of making such an overbet with bottom pair so as to elicit a doubting call from ace high.

I agree with the other poster that the proper turn play was to raise, and a healthy amount too.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:16 AM

if you are gonna play spirit rock heads up you need to be more agressive on the flop. why the hell not bet the pot? doesnt that make things a bit easier?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:41 AM

if you're about to leave fold.
if you feel like playing for a while call.
if your right and you keep playing, letting him know you'll make that call may keep him from running over you for a while.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:28 AM

no one else puts him on 89?

he bet the pot with the draw on the turn, then hits and makes his spirit rock overbet with the nuts?

maybe i fear the worst but it seems like just the line for an 89.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:05 AM

Easy fold.

Villain is known for overbetting the nuts so 89 is a distinct possibility as is 22/33/66/77/TT (would he always bet 45 on this flop?) and 2 pair. Although I have not watched this game, unless SR plays this differently, I assume that he is not putting in this bet with JT or A7s and therefore you are thinking that he has a really big hand or a really small one and are thinking if he has a really small one enough of the times to justify this call.

Of course a major potential problem is the fact that he could be bluffing with the best hand.

You need to win more than 43% of the time here to make this call profitable and I believe that SR is either betting a monster or bluffing with a better hand more than 2/3 of the time. A fold is in order.

A raise is only a good play if you think that he is 'bluffing with a better hand' AND will fold that hand 57% of the time. I think that this is clearly not the case as he would have not put in such a big bet with a hand that might win in a cheep showdown.

-Steve