Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Calling down with AK

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

The villain is tight-aggressive according to PT, but that's from datamining and so I don't have a personal read of him (yet). He's 14.4%, 6.7% and 2.8 over 270+ hands. I figure he could be checkraising for many reasons here, including to push me off my hand with a strong draw. Trying to find more places where I should see a showdown, what do you think?

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

P.S. this was a 10-handed table that had a lot of players coming and going, with some real donks to keep it worthwhile.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Calling down with AK

Since the turn is not a T,Q,K,A or club, I think I'm folding.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 PM

I'd worry about the hands a TAG is CRing you with on this flop. Medium Pairs, Jacks, flush draws and you only beat the flush draws.

If I'm you here I'm probably folding the turn. Or I might 3 bet the flop and see how he responds.

Once you've called on the turn I think you have to call the river too.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:51 PM

looks fine to me. sometimes you get screwed, sometimes you don't. but straight and flush draws play like this too. and FWIW: either draw is betting this turned scare card.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:57 PM

The only non-made hand the Villian can have is the flush draw, it's unlikely given the villians stats that he called with any hand that could have flopped a straight draw. I think it's much more likely the Villian has a made hand here and not a draw.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you've called on the turn I think you have to call the river too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling the turn and folding the river is the worst possible way to play it, I think.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:48 PM

I don't quite understand why you would even bother calling the turn. At best, each of your overcards is worth about 1.5 outs each. Actually, they're worth even less because a K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] gives a possible flush to Villian and an A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] gives Villian a different (and more likely) flush. Yes, his aggression could be a bluff or a semi-bluff, but on the turn is pot odds of 4.25 to 1 worth it? You really would need 14.3 outs to call, and I think you have less than 3.

Take this all with a grain of salt; you're a helluva lot more experienced than I am, and I could easily be wrong.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:54 PM

It isn't something you should do frequently, but only against specific opponents, i.e. those who play their draws aggressively. Therefore, I'm not calling on the basis of pot-odds, but on the odds that I have him beat when none of the obvious draws come in and I don't spike a pair + the odds that I suck out.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm you here I'm probably folding the turn. Or I might 3 bet the flop and see how he responds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3 bet. If he caps, or bets the turn, I fold.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't something you should do frequently, but only against specific opponents, i.e. those who play their draws aggressively. Therefore, I'm not calling on the basis of pot-odds, but on the odds that I have him beat when none of the obvious draws come in and I don't spike a pair + the odds that I suck out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand. At this point, I don't think I'm good enough to be able to come to that conclusion on my own. If I had made this call now (at my present skill and understanding), it'd probably be because I wasn't thinking at all (or hit the wrong button).