Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Ugh...car sales

So, as some of you know I just started a job at a Toyota dealership about 2 weeks ago. I'm really enjoying the job now (once I realized that you CAN do this job without violating your ethical boundaries), but it just so happens that the other new guy is outselling the hell out of me. I mean, I've sold 4 cars in the last 2 weeks (I'm behind schedule...I need 12/month to keep my job). This guy? He's sold 11. He runs into serious buyers almost constantly. Every time a customer walks on the lot, they're sitting at his desk signing paperwork within an hour. I constantly get strokers and shitheads all day, whom my sales managers can't even close. I'm getting a paycheck tomorrow for $800, and I'm getting extremely anxious and annoyed.

How the hell do you deal with someone on your level that is making you look bad? This is really trying my patience.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Ugh...car sales

If you are looking bad, you're making yourself look bad by not doing your job up to expectations.

It's not anybody else's fault.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:22 PM

He looks into each peron's soul.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:26 PM

You need to sell 4 cars a week to keep your job? Wow... sounds like a rough profession. Good luck man.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:27 PM

Sounds like he is getting somewhat lucky and you are not. Don't worry about hat fool and pick up your game.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:33 PM

You [censored] child! Who the [censored] told you you could hack it in car sales? Who the [censored] told you that you could work with men?

I remember the day I started in this [censored] business. I had a [censored] twinkle in my eye and a [censored] cock the size of an elephant's brain. And I got the [censored] beat out of me kid. It wears you the [censored] down kid. But you know what we men do? We get the [censored] papers signed.

I busted my ass for what? So you could come in here with your [censored] slack-jawed attitude and piss in my cheerios? I had that [censored] paper signed before you were born! Do you get me chief? Do you hear that which I am saying?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:39 PM

These gimmick accounts are getting lame.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:40 PM

You need to read this:

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/ggr2.html
Old 07-04-2005, 09:44 PM

Insufficient sample size.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:45 PM

If it is luck it will even out in the long run. Hopefully you will get to stay that long.

However, from someone that has been in sales (not car), there are significant factors other than luck that will vary your longterm sellrate. Granted, selling a car is probably more difficult than selling someone a service plan at Best Buy. However, I would imagine that selling add-ons are very similar.

I don't know what kind training you've had or if you have a sales background, but you could also have significant leaks in your game. Things like overcomming objections and building a solid raport with your customer will impact your results significantly. Try to know common objections and have rebuttals ready. You must believe in your product and make sure your customer sees this. If you don't (or at least aren't very good at appearing that you do), it will me much more difficult to sell.

Try different ways of selling, see what works for you. Change your delivery, timing, phrasing, etc. It's certainly difficult to find what's the best, but once you figure it out it will be the difference between when you read your first poker book and when you started crushing 8 tables whatever limit you play for 3bb/100.

That said, I don't really miss my sales days. Although the feeling you get when you close a tough sale, I miss. (especially when someone else couldn't seal the deal.)

-Craig