Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Flopping four of a kind...Extracting?

reads: everyone plays as the limits, .02/.04, would indicate. Calling on longshots, bottom pairs, playing A-small, etc. no real "reads".

No hand history as I was on another computer.
Hand: 3 3
preflop, 5 callers to a raised pot, so 10 BBs.
Flop: 6 3 3, rainbow

bet, I raise, fold fold fold call
check, check
check, bet, he folds

with 4 of a kind, can you really do anything else? or should i just be happy with what I won and move along.

Was kind of upset because this was the best hand i ever got online (Though not the best, i had pocket kings in a live game 3 weeks ago and flop was K K A, guy went all in after I called a bet on flop and checked through turn...needless to say he was unpleasantly surprised that his Queen high wasn't good enough to bluff me out of the pot)

I think the poker gods made up for my lack of cash by flopping me an open ended straight flush 5 hands later when i switched computers to post here, which turned into an 8-Q straight flush, WITH callers of many of the bets and raises I could get in (still not an overabundance) on the river : )

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 20.50 BB

Old 07-02-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Flopping four of a kind...Extracting?

it happens. worry about more important stuff.

bet the turn.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it happens. worry about more important stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the flop and bet the turn.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:25 AM

to the poster who since deleted post; this was a limit game, and I wanted to make sure I got as much as I could out of it. The question is, if I had played it different could I have gotten more?

I realize this hand is pretty much not that important, thats why I mentioned what it was in the thread title, because it's obvious I'm gonna win the hand with 4 of a kind. I just don't know if there is a 'standard' way to play it that pays off more than the way i played it. It's not really a pressing issue or anything.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The question is, if I had played it different could I have gotten more?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. you should've called the flop bet, especially with three players left to act behind you. this pulls more people into the pot. if anything, you want to be raising the turn or river when the bets double.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:32 AM

you want overcalls on the flop and raises on the turn when the bets are double.

[/repeatingwhateveryoneelsehassaid]
Old 07-02-2005, 12:35 AM

Right right...I don't think I mentioned, but this is my first night playing limit poker (Making much use of the pre-flop starting hands spreadsheet, its VERY useful...at the end of this weekend, if i decide to stick with limit, i'm going to pick up SSHE

[NL tournaments are fun, but I have been losing too much of my bankroll in single hands of NL ring games...my bankroll actually meets the 2+2 Recommended amount for 2/4 cent limit, unlike the no-limit tables suggestions, hence the switch]

so, as this is my first time playing limit, I did not recall, think of, or care, that the bets are doubled on the turn. Point well taken for any future flopped monster hands.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:42 AM

When you flop a monster it's usually best to get yr money in there. You need to bet that turn -- after all, villian is likely chasing some hand, so if you don't bet, how do you expect him to call you? Yeah, it really is that simple.

EDIT: I agree that just calling the flop is best though. You want people to call there not fold, and a raise makes people want to fold. The above was about the turn.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:55 AM

Flopping quads sucks because you're almost always going to win a small pot. You know nonody else has any 3's and the flop looks very scary to everyone else. I would check/call the flop and turn and raise on the river. Give the other guys a chance to make some sort of hand so they will call or even raise you on the river.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:12 AM

you should get SSHE anyway. has some valuable insights that have helped my NL game a lot.