Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Two too many? A hand with my thoughts along the way

No hand history for this one, its Stars 1/2 6 Max.

UTG raises and and its folded to me in the BB, I call with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . UTG probably has something pretty good here, he seems to be less bad than most. Most of the time I 3 bet this but decided to change it up here.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I check he thinks a long while and bets. I call

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I check, he bets, I raise, he 3 bets, I cap. I am now worried about JJ, TT and JT in that order.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Well I beat JT, QQ and KK now so I bet, he raises, I 3 bet and he caps.

Should I have stopped at 2 on the river? As soon as I 3 bet I didnt feel real good about it. Results in white below

<font color="white">He had JJ for the boat. The long pause before the flop bet, is that always a huge hand? </font>
Old 08-25-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Two too many? A hand with my thoughts along the way

I don't read too much into pauses online because people are often multitabling or just not paying attention I think call the raise he knows his 2 pair is void and I don't often see people raise TPGK on the river after a capped turn.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The long pause before the flop bet, is that always a huge hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the pause was unusually long for him in this session, I think it cud be a valid tell. After he raises the river, I'll just call.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG raises and and its folded to me in the BB, I call with A A . UTG probably has something pretty good here, he seems to be less bad than most. Most of the time I 3 bet this but decided to change it up here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3-bet preflop 99% of the time. Especially if the raiser is tight.
I bet out on the flop and cap if three-bet, though in this case your opponent would have called and raised the turn.
When raised at the turn in this case I call and call down the river.

It could also go like this:
I 3 bet, opponent caps. I bet out and 3 bet if raised on the flop,call a cap, check and call from there.

Playing aces timidly is a mistake, IMO. You are going to have the best final hand a large proportion of the time, so you get money in the pot early. You usually win more when they hold up, and lose more when they don't. Either way I want a big pot early when I'm holding AA. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2004, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I 3-bet preflop 99% of the time. Especially if the raiser is tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, but I was changing it up here. I thought he had a good hand and I wanted to get money in on the expensive streets.

[ QUOTE ]
I bet out on the flop and cap if three-bet, though in this case your opponent would have called and raised the turn.
When raised at the turn in this case I call and call down the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like this at all, if I bet the flop and get raised I think Im going call and try to check raise the turn most of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
It could also go like this:
I 3 bet, opponent caps. I bet out and 3 bet if raised on the flop,call a cap, check and call from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all this action what am I scared of on the turn? It seems like QQ, KK and JJ and the most likey hands the way things have gone down and Im ahead of 2 of those.

[ QUOTE ]
Playing aces timidly is a mistake, IMO. You are going to have the best final hand a large proportion of the time, so you get money in the pot early. You usually win more when they hold up, and lose more when they don't. Either way I want a big pot early when I'm holding AA. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since the turn and river were capped I hardly think my play could be called timid. Heads up vs an opponent who could go too far on the later streets (like I would up doing [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) I think there is some merit in waiting until the turn to come to life.