Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 10:07 AM

Default playing the flop questions

I'm curious what lines people take on the flop when it doesn't really hit them. In all cases, let's say you're raising an unknown BB from the button. SB folds, BB calls and then bets out. What do you do with:
88 on the following flops:
1) AT4r
2) Q93r
3) T74r

What do you do with A9o on:
4) AT4r
5) Q93r
6) T74r

What do you do with KQo on:
7) AT4r
8) Q93r
9) T74r
Old 08-24-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: playing the flop questions

[ QUOTE ]
1) AT4r
2) Q93r
3) T74r

[/ QUOTE ]

All are 3-bet.
1. He hate folding his low pair so he want to know exactly if you have an ace.
2. I want to see a SD for 2.5SB not for 3SB (if he bets turn and river). I don't like folding as JT,8T, any 3 or something like AT can check-raise flop here. If he proceed betting on turn i like folding.
3. I'm pretty sure im ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
4) AT4r
5) Q93r
6) T74r

[/ QUOTE ]

All a 3-bet here.

4. I'm pretty sure im ahead.
5. I'm pretty sure im ahead. Any pair would check-raise here as well as a draw
6. I want to see SD. If he proceed betting on turn i would fold. Also i can occasionally fold on river.

[ QUOTE ]
7) AT4r
8) Q93r
9) T74r

[/ QUOTE ]

7. 3-bet/Call/fold situation. I like calling and fold if not improved on turn not only to str8 but any pair as well.
8. Easy 3-bet
9. 3-bet, check turn and fold on river if not improved.

I like 3-betting flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2004, 01:33 PM

No matter how much you like 3-betting here Peter, you can't...

...only BB gets to 3-bet these hands to your raise. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This aside, I think raising looks the best option for them all, HU against a random hand.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:54 PM

Hard to believe that people think raising is right in every one of these situations against an unknown. These answers are what I would do in the 10-20 game.

[ QUOTE ]
1) AT4r
2) Q93r
3) T74r

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Fold.
2) Fold.
3) Raise

[ QUOTE ]
4) AT4r
5) Q93r
6) T74r

[/ QUOTE ]

4) Call with intention of raising turn.
5) Raise
6) Fold

[ QUOTE ]

7) AT4r
8) Q93r
9) T74r

[/ QUOTE ]

7) Raise.
8) Call with intention of raising turn.
9) Probably raise. All three options pretty close.

Every pot does not belong to you just because you raised preflop with something decent.

Party 10-20 6 max has such a laggish rep that people assume unknowns must be putting moves on them. But there are many more semi-clueless straightforward tools than LAGs, ones who are betting out here with pairs and will call you down with any pair on many boards.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think raising looks the best option for them all, HU against a random hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That is a recipe for disaster in my book. Why would you think the other player has a random hand at this point?
Old 08-24-2004, 05:01 PM

HU on the flop, he bets out. Why do you think he has a hand in any of them? That bet could mean a lot of things. It's 3-handed PF, BB calls with a very large range of hands here and may well put you on a steal.

Who said this was $10/$20? OK - you may just be talking of your experience of $10/$20; I cannot answer that but, I do know that at lower limits the players have a terrible time handling aggression.

I agree, that for some of the hands calling and raising the Turn is good, but if you do this every time you have TP HU you will be pretty easy to read.

I am not looking at playing all these hands in sequence. I am thinking about if I was dealt the hand in the situation described (3-handed), first hand. I'm quite happy to make a few very aggro moves HU early in an encounter. At this point I want to see how opponent responds to aggression.

Perhaps I should have looked longer term, but I really was just thinking of the first hand in a very SH (3-handed) encounter against an unknown. I was not talking of how I would play these hands later, or with a better read.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:32 PM

I don't think the original poster said it was a 3-handed game.

In your games, you may be able to run over your opponents more. This could definitely be optimal strategy there. But in my games they aren't folding pairs heads up unless the board is very bad.

I find that this often makes raising the turn with your best hands better, since they are usually at least going to the river anyway. IMO, raising an underpair with two overcards on the flop or raising with only a single overcard to the board on a flop without lots of draws also becomes a losing proposition against most players.

With better reads on my opponent, I definitely mix it up. But against unknowns, the money is generally made the boring, conventional way, by maximizing your wins when you're ahead and bailing when you're probably behind in small pots.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:36 PM

To clarify, I meant that it had been folded around to you in a 6max game, and you were on the button, and you raised. SB folded, BB called. If it helps, let's make it a 10/20 game, cuz that's what I play [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think along the lines of Sam...I also think I'm trying to win a few too many hands because I raised preflop. If people don't mind, I might post a few other flop questions that are a little less straightforward later.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Every pot does not belong to you just because you raised preflop with something decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

but folding 88 right on flop is weak,IMO.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but folding 88 right on flop is weak,IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the flop has two overcards and your unknown opponent is highly likely to be either betting one of them, or maybe a straight draw that is drawing very live against you anyway in a tiny pot?

Standard issue party tools, which make up the great majority of unknowns, are rarely betting A3o or some such junk against you here.