Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2004, 02:41 PM

Default SSH for a first poker book?

Hi, I have been playing poker for 6 months now primarily at $1/2 or $2/4 on party and am a decent player. I am looking to buy my first poker book. Is Small Stakes Holdem a good candidate?

Thanks

Would the best place to order it be from 2+2?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: SSH for a first poker book?

NPAEM has repeatedly said his book isn't intended for brand new players or as a first book. I guess one of those for sure applies (your first book). You have to decide if the other applies. I suspect it does. Try Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em, Theory of Poker, and/or Hold'Em Poker. That being said, I obviously haven't read his book yet, nor am I the utmost authority, so how do I know?
Old 07-17-2004, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I have been playing poker for 6 months now primarily at $1/2 or $2/4 on party and am a decent player. I am looking to buy my first poker book. Is Small Stakes Holdem a good candidate?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, are you a decent WINNER? Then I guess SSH should be a good buy.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:37 PM

Do _not_ buy hold'em poker. If you have played for 6 months then you allready know everything in that book. If you have a grasp of the basic concepts then go get Hold'em for advanced players.

I bought Hold'em Poker when I started out because I was afraid I'd miss out on something important. It is a book for players that havent played a single hand of hold'em before. Everything it says is repeated in advanced, which also has a lot more detail on the subjects and goes further into the material.

Guess which book I think you should get [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

k
Old 07-17-2004, 08:23 PM

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it, but I would say it looks like a good first book for someone like you.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:52 PM

My advice, start with HEPFAP and TOP, that and a good dose of the forums should get you ready for "IT".

(he says, having not yet finished TOP*, and will have a hard time doing so once "IT" arrives).

*- I really, really wish I'd read this before I started playing for money. It's fantastic.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought Hold'em Poker when I started out because I was afraid I'd miss out on something important. It is a book for players that havent played a single hand of hold'em before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't find this to be any more false. It is geared towards the brand new player, but still has much information that could go over looked for 6 months by a player who hasn't read it. I found the section on the best flops for a certain hand/trouble flops for a certain hand to be very interesting and do not recall that being covered in detail in HPFAP. Furthermore, I believe because of it's easy going reading HP make HPFAP and TOP that much easier to digest.

As far as SSH goes. You should probably be ready to play small stakes hold'em first. 1/2 is still considered micro-limit. Read Hp, HPFAP, and TOP first. I have ordered SSH and believe it will be the defining work of small stakes, but I wouldn't be reading it if I were not playing/were not going to play small stakes.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you got yours fast. Finally someone other than myself or Gabe will have a chance to review it.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:20 PM

Wow, you got yours fast. Finally someone other than myself or Gabe will have a chance to review it.

Hehe.. I don't even have a copy yet.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found the section on the best flops for a certain hand/trouble flops for a certain hand to be very interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

That chapter alone is worth the price of the book.

[ QUOTE ]
do not recall that being covered in detail in HPFAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as SSH goes. You should probably be ready to play small stakes hold'em first. 1/2 is still considered micro-limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is more about loose games than just small stakes. If your game regularly has 5 or more to the flop (SSHE breaks the games into tight, 3 to 5 seeing the flop, and loose, 6 to 8 seeing the flop), then SSHE is for you, regardless of the stakes.