Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 07:58 AM

Default So it\'s folded to me in the small blind...

Titan Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="red">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, <font color="red">BB raises</font>, <font color="red">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (11BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 13BB

Results in white below:
<font color="white">BB shows KK. Hero cries.</font>

I've posted results because my post is not really about the above hand. I'm fairly happy with the way I played it, but my actions were based on a read of BB as way too aggressive with overcards. The Turn check is maybe a little much and I kick a kitten if he checks behind, but I got the turn capped with him drawing to two outs, so I can't be too upset. I considered folding to his preflop raise, but I really don't want him to start playing back at me light.

Anyway, the point of my post is that I am seriously unsure of correct play when it's folded to me in the small blind, and I've included the above hand as an example. I am currently open-completing with any two, as I'm getting 3-1 and my equity against a random hand is easily enough, but is this the correct way to think about it? I know Harrington advocates this in HOH1 and 2, but is it also correct in limit, where you may not be able to get as much out of your monsters?

I'm also wondering what kind of range I should be open-raising from the SB against a typical opponent. I know this depends heavily on how the BB reacts to your raise, and I can imagine situations where I would raise any two, but any general advice would be appreciated.

I'm currently in the slightly odd position that I'm open-completing any two, but folding a lot of those same hands with a single limper in mid position. In the above hand, I fold it preflop if anyone enters the pot before me. With one limper, I'm surely getting 5-1, but is my equity destroyed by the limper with possibly an above average hand?

These situations are coming up fairly frequently at 6-max, but I'm posting it in here because this is the forum I read most, and because I think it's still definitely relevant.

p.s. I know preflop questions are frowned upon, but this is the only aspect of preflop play that still baffles me.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: So it\'s folded to me in the small blind...

Fold preflop.

EDIT: I haven't read Harrington yet but I'm sure he advocates this because he's talking about no limit; where the post flop gains can be massive in comparison to your preflop complete.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:01 AM

Is folding your SB too weak here? That's what I usually do with 86o.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 AM

This is a fold PF in limit. What can you really do with a hand like this if you don't flop trips or 2 pair?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:33 AM

fold pf without a very strong read that villain will fold BB vs blatant attempt.

turn check is too much. Most of the time calls down vs a c/r. If you bet, there's more of a chance of getting 3bets in on the turn.

As to the general question of a range here, I will throw out a range. All of these hands I am raising rather than just completing.

any A, 22+, any K, 65s+, any 2 cards over 7.

Obviously this changes based on reads. If villain is LAG I will discard some of the weaker ones and focus on high card strength since it's more likely I need to SD to win. Against a tight player I will sometimes raise any 2.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:41 AM

I think you can fold this pre-flop and find a better hand to defend with, sometimes the stealer has the goods.

On the flop I think you need to check raise, if your opponent goes to far with over cards you need to let him really go too far and get bets out of him. As it is I don't know if I fold in his position regardless.

Fortunately he got MUBS on the river and saved you 3 bets.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:00 PM

I doubt I would ever check-raise this flop, you're just letting villian know you have a strong hand. (Unless I'm playing against certain clever players, who are thinking what I'm thinking). Check/call flop, bet call turn, or just bet the flop. Donks look a lot more like bluffs to inexperienced players than checkraises do.

Completing here isn't a standard play by any means but if I know BB is extremely weak postflop I'll play a lot of different hands against him.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:01 PM

*grunch*

In my opinion 86o is a mandatory preflop fold. Even from the SB.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:03 PM

I'm generally in favor of raising heads up from SB, but limping can be correct if the situation is right.

You need to have a very very good reason to limp a bad hand from SB (villain is absolutely terrible and very loose passive postflop).

You need to have a very good reason to limp a mediocre hand from SB (villain is generally weak/passive postflop and you can outplay him OOP).

You need only a good reason to limp a decent hand from SB (villain will defend too much).
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM

I probably was being too results oriented knowing what villian held and trying to get rid of him. Still, wouldn't you want to play this the same as hitting your set on the flop and jam the pot? Or do you think you only chase people out that are drawing dead and get called by people chasing draws that could catch up with you?