Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Newbie ?s

Can someone explain or link to a post that explains what a value bet is. What does IMO stand for?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Newbie ?s

imo = in my opinion
Old 10-20-2005, 06:40 AM

You can make a value bet in situations where your pot equity is greater than the percentage of bets you are putting in.

Simple example - you estimate you have equity of 30% on the flop. It is then profitable to bet out if you can be sure that three oponents will call, as you will then only be putting in 25% of bets.

In reality, it is often difficult to estimate your pot equity, but certain situations come up regularly - for example if you have a draw to the nut flush on the flop, it is often correct to bet and raise against a number of passive opponents for value despite the fact that you can only win by making the flush.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:42 AM

In My Opinion, a value bet is a bet that you make when you believe you're ahead and trying to get the maximum amount of money in the pot. Likewise, if you have a flush draw or open-ended straight draw and can get three or more people to call your bet, it's a value bet because the amount of money going into the pot exceeds the odds against your making the hand by the river.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:55 AM

The reply posters here are correct. If you have not read GSIH or SSH (in that order) yet, please do! They give very good explanations and the rationale behind them as well as all the other vital concepts.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reply posters here are correct. If you have not read GSIH or SSH (in that order) yet, please do! They give very good explanations and the rationale behind them as well as all the other vital concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Getting Started In Hold'em, by Ed Miller, and Small Stakes Hold'em, by Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth, to spell out those acronyms for you. They're both required reading if you want to be good at poker.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Getting Started In Hold'em, by Ed Miller, and Small Stakes Hold'em, by Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth, to spell out those acronyms for you. They're both required reading if you want to be good at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey real sorry for the hijack here (i was first to answer you anyway ^_^ ), but is GSIH at all appropriate for a reasonably intermediate player? i havent read or... to be honest heard of it before here, but have been through and understood TOP, HPFAP, SS2 and HOH1+2, and am getting SSHE soon. would you still recommend GSIH? the name sounds a bit basic thats all....
Old 10-20-2005, 03:57 PM

Not to take it away from Wook...but I read GSIH 2 weeks ago (3 times) and am now reading SSH. I would say if you have read SSH (and grasp it all) and beyond I do not think there is a reason to go back to GSIH for limit. However, GSIH also has great beginners NL and tourney advice so if you're looking for something in that arena it is a good buy. All that being said, I am sooooo glad I read GSIH before SSH because it has made grasping the concepts much easier IMO.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:03 PM

I'm with LG 100% here. I recommended GSIH as mandatory reading for OP because it sounded like he was brand spanking new (nothing wrong with that). SSH is a crappy book to start with. Actually, I started with WLLH because GSIH hadn't been written when I started. One needs a basic, entry level book to get rolling and have a frame of reference with which to understand SSH. If you are getting the hang of SSH, and aren't interested in the NL and tournament stuff of GSIH, then you don't need to pick it up.