Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 08:30 AM

Default AK draw improves

Thoughts about the turn bet.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: AK draw improves

Well, you were going to call one anyway, and I think that against most opponents you still have a fair amound of fold equity (so many times people call on the flop and fold the turn if you keep betting, just in case you do have OCs). If he is more aggressive, I would be more likely to check/call, because getting raised would suck as you have to call. Anyway, NH.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 AM

It's how I play it sometimes, especially against opponents who have shown a proclivity to fold on the turn. Checking the turn can give your opponent a chance to take a shot at you on the river with any two, as well. So I like it.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:18 AM

Any reads would help. There are no draws on that flop, so what is UTG+2 calling with? What hands would he raise preflop with?

A reasonable player has raising standards UTG+2 of maybe AA-99, AK-AT, KQ, and maybe KJ.

We can probably discount AA-QQ as no cap preflop. 99-JJ may call your flop bet, afraid of the queen on the flop. We'd surely see a raise on the flop from AQ, and probably KQ.

That leaves AK, AJ-AT and 99-JJ, and maybe KJ (is this too simplistic?)

TT and AT have improved on the turn, while KJ has picked up an oesd. JJ is probably calling down, but we have 8 outs to beat it. Betting the turn may get AJ or 99 to fold (although AJ has a gutshot), while another AK also has a gutshot.

Taking all this into account, I probably bet the turn, and call a raise.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:25 PM

I've play hands in a similar way. I think your line is ok.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:42 PM

I play this as standard. You have fold equity.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-16-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I also like the check behind on the river - I see a lot of passives that let me bet flop turn river then raise (recently I had KK destroyed by a river 8 for trips - I bet he finally raised...lets not mention he cold called my raise PF - ack).
Since this is often a lower PP or bluff I am usually obligated to give them an extra bet due to pot size. Easier to forgo the 1 river bet that he likely folds to anyhow.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:08 PM

Hmmm. Interesting, I think I'd play it the same way.

My first reply was to take the free card, which I might do since he raised preflop, but will you fold to a river bet?

Of course, the 10 handed 6 max game at party is really hard to win at. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I also like the check behind on the river - I see a lot of passives that let me bet flop turn river then raise (recently I had KK destroyed by a river 8 for trips - I bet he finally raised...lets not mention he cold called my raise PF - ack).
Since this is often a lower PP or bluff I am usually obligated to give them an extra bet due to pot size. Easier to forgo the 1 river bet that he likely folds to anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet this half the time looking for a fold, check behind the rest of the time in case of an underpair. They'll often chase the ace if they pair up with an A(x).