Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Default wondering how good i can play?

We have been playing a weekly NLHE tour. for 2 years now. it is usually 15 to 20 players every week.i think that there are at least 5 to 6 good players playing.We have a 100 dollar buy in and pay 3 places. I have finished in the top 3 everytime except about 5% of the time.I have been to horse and won a couple of super satellites. but i am jiust nervous about moving up to 1000 to 2000 buyin tour.i think i am a decent player.any thoughts please on making th jump to higher buyins thanks.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: wondering how good i can play?

That's a big jump. We truly don't have enough information, I'd say take some of your profit, go ahead and take the shot. I'd treat it just so though, as a SHOT... be prepared to go back to your $100 buyins if you fail.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We have been playing a weekly NLHE tour. for 2 years now. it is usually 15 to 20 players every week.i think that there are at least 5 to 6 good players playing.We have a 100 dollar buy in and pay 3 places. I have finished in the top 3 everytime except about 5% of the time.I have been to horse and won a couple of super satellites. but i am jiust nervous about moving up to 1000 to 2000 buyin tour.i think i am a decent player.any thoughts please on making th jump to higher buyins thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've finished in the top 10-20% of all players 95% of the time? You'll forgive me if I don't believe you?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:57 PM

i am telling the truth. another player who finishes well every week jokes about who is going to take the crown away from me every week, lol. i almost won my way into the WPT at horseshoe in january.won a sattelite and finished 18th out of 262 in super sat. i go play in 10/ 20 limit tables some and start with about 300dollars. i have won 1500 to 2000 on some trips.i have been maybe 8 times.i have won 5 out of 8 times. lost 100 to 200 other times. i just wanted to know how i stood against people that play for bigger limits.thanks again
Old 05-26-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am telling the truth. another player who finishes well every week jokes about who is going to take the crown away from me every week, lol. i almost won my way into the WPT at horseshoe in january.won a sattelite and finished 18th out of 262 in super sat. i go play in 10/ 20 limit tables some and start with about 300dollars. i have won 1500 to 2000 on some trips.i have been maybe 8 times.i have won 5 out of 8 times. lost 100 to 200 other times. i just wanted to know how i stood against people that play for bigger limits.thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

I myself have no idea how you would do against other players. If you've monied 95% of the time over 2 years, one of two things is happening. Either you're lucky as all hell. Or you are playing against the most braindead, retarded people in the world, and you're just sitting back and letting them bust each other. You can play absolutely perfect poker over the course of a tourney and still not money. 95% is unattainable provided you're not playing with people are all in on the first hand with 84o.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
95% is unattainable provided you're not playing with people are all in on the first hand with 84o.

[/ QUOTE ]Don't worry; if they went all in with 84o you STILL wouldn't be 95% to place. Hell, you wouldn't be 95% to win THAT hand, and if you did double up, that doesn't guarantee you'll make the money.

I, too, take issue with your 95% claim.
-Sam
Old 05-26-2005, 03:42 PM

o.k. as actual % goes i dont know.but we have a big tour. at the end of the year, the pot was 4600 dollars winner take all.i won it we had 24 players that night.since jan.i have been inthe money every week sometimes its third sometimes i win etc.we play every thursday night. i usually play conservative at first till we get down to about 6 to 7 players.i played like crap when we first started 2 years ago but i can just about tell you what anybody has got now.remember the same people play every week.sometimes we have a new person show up.after abou 2 months i started playing good and seems like i get better every week. thanks
Old 05-27-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
95% is unattainable provided you're not playing with people are all in on the first hand with 84o.

[/ QUOTE ]Don't worry; if they went all in with 84o you STILL wouldn't be 95% to place. Hell, you wouldn't be 95% to win THAT hand, and if you did double up, that doesn't guarantee you'll make the money.

I, too, take issue with your 95% claim.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Well obviously he's folding there [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I just meant he's letting the others take themselves out.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no doubt you're ready for the big time! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 05:39 PM

This is OBVIOUSLY VERY POSSIBLE. I play with the same group of guys on a regular basis for a little better than a year now. I have placed ITM in this game 100% of the time, yes you read that correct. I am NOT bragging, okay just a little, but it is very possible. I can even say I have NOT come in first place at the most 5-6 times. [ QUOTE ]

You've finished in the top 10-20% of all players 95% of the time? You'll forgive me if I don't believe you?

[/ QUOTE ]