Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
PITTM 111 58.73%
Nothumb 78 41.27%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Rebuild or Redeposit

I have been playing online for about a year and a half. I play primarily 5/10 and 3/6 and have had my share of success doing so. Last year I maintained my bankroll online at 4k to 5k. Anything above and beyond that I withdrew. Not to spend but just to have the money on hand.

I decided a few months back to give 10/20 and 15/30 a legit try to see if I could make the move up. So with my insufficient bankroll of 4k or so I proceeded to hit a brick wall. I got out of the game and came back to reality but stayed card dry at the 5/10 and 3/6 level.

Total damage before I snapped out of it was 814 dollars. Needless to say this was my lowest point in playing but even the best players in the world go card dry. That is poker.

After a vacation to the UK I started back on the grind. I have worked my online roll to 2100 but still don't like feeling short stacked playing 5/10 and 3/6. I at present just have a ton of cash sitting.

Would you redeposit or work to just rebuild?

Some other factors.

I don't need any of the poker money. I do just fine in my job. The money is basically there for a rainy day. I had visions of using the cash to play in tourney's and such but reality is that this game is brutal at times and I wouldn't want to deal with it.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Rebuild or Redeposit

I consider my online and B&M bankroll as one and the same. I would put the money back in and get back to work. By playing smaller or worrying about your online bankroll you are costing yourself money.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:07 PM

this is part of your bankroll. I'm more worried about you being concerned with losing $815 as $10/20 or $15/30 tables. You are not even giving yourself a fair shot at winning if you're concerned about losing that much at these limits. At $10/20 the buyin is $500 @ $15/30 is $700. so big deal, not that its not a lot of money, but in the grand scheme of poker BIG deal
Old 06-20-2005, 03:09 PM

I think the OP went from $4,000 down to $814.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:11 PM

did you lose $814 out of your bankroll, or did you run your bankroll down to $814??
Old 06-20-2005, 03:13 PM

Rebuilding is for newbs or people who have no additional money to spare. If you know what you're doing (and you sound like you do), go ahead and redeposit. I'm assuming you're way in the black overall, so this money that you're redepositing is money that would have been part of your bankroll had you not cashed out, so I wouldn't treat it as taking money out of pocket to go "gamble" with.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:16 PM

Roughly 4 to 5k down to 814. No I did not just lose 814. Was a sustained run of bad luck and cards.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:18 PM

I would rebuyin and if I felt confident in my game after losing $4-5k that I can play with those higher limit players, I may make the move to 10/20. I've found those games to be rather soft myself when I play them.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:21 PM

Grind it out and rebuild your bankroll. The money is there if you need it, and it will be a good character building exercise for the next time you think about blasting away a big chunk of your bankroll. I've had to do the same thing before, and I'm glad I did.

Truth is you have the bankroll, but it isn't sitting in an account at a poker site.

Good luck,

Fitz
Old 06-20-2005, 04:50 PM

If you have consistently beat 5-10 for the past year, not redepositing is foolish. You took a shot at higher limits and lost. It happens. There is very little use in dropping below a level you can beat unless losing the majority of your roll affected your play.