Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: War and relegion

[ QUOTE ]
Ever heard of the separation of church and state?

I mean, I know some of these assholes in our government think we should all be the same religion, but technically, according to the constitution, there is no official religion. Therefore, our country doesn't fight wars based on religion.

[/ QUOTE ] Did you miss my quote of gwb? Where he clearly states what side god was on. How is that not fighting a war under the banner of god?

p.s I'd imagine most of these assholes in our government think we should all be the same religion, and I'm positive most of them want us to have a monotheistic religoin, if not xtianity.

p.s.s Even if I lose the debate over whether or not Bush's statement qualifies, I'll surely win the the debate that the muslim extremeists are motivated by religion. Heck, it's a tautology.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The civil war is a rare case of a war that was not fought under the banner of God. Only if you refer to the 4 reins of popes that endorsed slavery as a cause of the civil war can we say that religion was a casue of the civil war. Which I think would qualify religioin as being a indirect cause of the civil war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, we play fast and loose with cause and effect on this board.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you miss my quote of gwb? Where he clearly states what side god was on. How is that not fighting a war under the banner of god?

[/ QUOTE ]

the question has nothing to do w/ the "banner of god". the rescent wars we have been in have had NOTHING to do with god or religion from our side of it. If god told gwb directly that he did not support this war, i assure you we would still be there fighting it.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The civil war is a rare case of a war that was not fought under the banner of God. Only if you refer to the 4 reins of popes that endorsed slavery as a cause of the civil war can we say that religion was a casue of the civil war. Which I think would qualify religioin as being a indirect cause of the civil war.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more fun that way. Is it a bit to much of a stretch or is it cleary wrong?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the question has nothing to do w/ the "banner of god". the rescent wars we have been in have had NOTHING to do with god or religion from our side of it. If god told gwb directly that he did not support this war, i assure you we would still be there fighting it.

[/ QUOTE ] I think it does have to do with the banner of god because it's a huge motivator.

Or if I am being unpatriotic and we are in Iraq to help insure that the shi'ite and sooni(really bad spelling) can from a democracy. This way it's a war that is caused by religion.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll surely win the the debate that the muslim extremeists are motivated by religion

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, man, I'm with you 100% on this.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think it does have to do with the banner of god because it's a huge motivator.

Or if I am being unpatriotic and we are in Iraq to help insure that the shi'ite and sooni(really bad spelling) can from a democracy. This way it's a war that is caused by religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude. a huge motivator? you think they sit around at the pentagon and are like "hmm should we goto war here? Oh snap! ill bet god is on our side, lets do it!"
religion has NOTHING to do w/ our wars. not even indirectly. however, on the opposing force's side it may be the main reason.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude. a huge motivator?

[/ QUOTE ] For the people who are fighting the war and the people at home supporting it.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more fun that way. Is it a bit to much of a stretch or is it cleary wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, using "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon"-type of arguments to discuss causes of wars seems a bit too much for me. Ideas then become so watered down that they lose meaning.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude. a huge motivator?

[/ QUOTE ] For the people who are fighting the war and the people at home supporting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people in the military are generally much too professional to be motivated by their religious beliefs in fighting this war. I know that might surprise you, but from my experience it is absolutley true. We have enough motivating factors to fight on.