Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 06:03 PM

Default When did you feel ready to UPGRADE...YOUR TABLE AND CHIPS

I just got 1K for my birthday. A very special person gave it to me (she's doing ok financially but not rich by any stretch). Told me not to spend it on the practical stuff...like bills etc...but my passion---which she knows is poker. I'd told her 1K would be the amount I needed to get a poker table and custom chips. Right now my home game plays on a dining room table covered with felt...and we use the regular dice style 'clay composite' chips...by the way she bought those chips for me for Christmas. My question is...we play 2X a month...I'd like to play every week...add additional people (we usually have 5-7 players)...does certain amount of playing time JUSTIFY spending 1K...or is it strictly a vanity thing.

Feeling a little guilty...
Old 08-01-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: When did you feel ready to UPGRADE...YOUR TABLE AND CHIPS

Table - It's really a comfort thing.

Chips -- If you're going to run a game that meets on a consistent basis with more than a couple of people I think you need some kind of unique chips. Custom clays are best and most expensive. Hot stamped or custom stickered dice work too, though. It would be very easy for someone to brng in some extra chips and slip them into play if you're using the ubiquitous dice chips with no unique feature. Not going to happen with unique chips.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd told her 1K would be the amount I needed to get a poker table and custom chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep thinking that you screwed over your friend but then realise it not pounds.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 AM

spend $50 on a folding poker table-top and $500 on a set of Paulson's and pocket the rest... aka put it towards your bankroll

(use promo-code Sizzle05 for like 15%-25% off)
Old 08-02-2005, 08:38 AM

I don't know your living situation, but a nice table can be a really attactive piece to have. It sounds like you love poker and I think having a really nice poker table with some nice fancy chips would be awesome.

If you are handy, or know people who are, I'd suggest dropping 300 into building a table and getting some really nice chips. I don't know how much of the 700 left you would want to spend, but get yourself a nice custom set of chips that you can be proud of.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
spend $50 on a folding poker table-top

[/ QUOTE ]

Man those things are trash. Are you seriously saying you'd spend half the cash on chips and pennies on a folding tabletop?

Seriously I'd get a nice 10 man holdem table, if you don't have a room to dedicate to a game room buy one with folding legs that you can store. You can get decent ones for $250 - $400 or so.

As far as chips go, spending $$$ on paulsons is wonderful but if they're that important to you have some custom made for about the same price.

The ceramic chipco chips are decently priced and seem to be very nice. you may want to look into those.

PG
Old 08-02-2005, 11:04 PM

You only need to upgrade to expensive equipment if you have alot of home games at your house. If you don't host alot then there is no reason to go out and spend alot of money on equipment that you will not use frequently.

Maybe you can spend some of that money to bring your skills up too. Buy a bunch of poker books and read them to improve your game.

-HoldemPokerPlyr
Old 08-03-2005, 03:34 AM

Thanks I appreciated all of what you all had to say...I'm still not sure. But I will know real soon; that money is burning a pretty big hole in my pocket! I planned to buy customized chips, but I think I might order the Paulson's James Bond's because custom chips seem to take a long time to make.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:47 AM

If you establish a regular game, think of all the help you're giving the economy!

Poker supplies, ongoing investment
Food and beverages
Collecting disposable income for investment purposes

It's your DUTY to host a good game. Uncle Sam demands it!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:06 PM

Consider these >

I have the Nevada Jacks Desert Sands chips and I love them. As good as custom chipcos re: quality, but much much cheaper. I don't like the skulls versions, however.

Since building my table and upgrading to custom chips and KEMs I've had a waiting list for my home game here in Memphis. People are FAR more likely to want to play on a high-end table with high-end chips. Most other games around here play on folding tops or just play on regular table tops.

When you have a game that is semi-regular and you want to make it regular, THEN you upgrade