Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 12:45 PM

Default 98o in BB, top pair on ragged flop, crazy action

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, hero???

CO is new, SB its fairly TAG on the semi-loose side
Old 08-11-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: 98o in BB, top pair on ragged flop, crazy action

I think I oculd find a fold here.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:50 PM

that board is pretty ragged for all that action. I'm okay getting out.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:52 PM

Easy fold.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:53 PM

folds
Old 08-11-2005, 12:55 PM

There is a chance we're still ahead, but I see too many factors working against us here. SB most likely has us beat, with something like A9, K9s, Q9s or a set or something but an underpair is a possibility as well. When behind we lack outs, the 9's are probably tainted, and two pair might not be good enough if we hit it. We have lots of outs against us as well, overcards, straight possibilities. I think I would fold.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:55 PM

Standard fold.

On this board I am definitely not leading out because you will be called with all kinds of overcards trash, so you have no protection potential. You're likely ahead but dodging all the overcards you are not likely to have that great an equity edge if you can't cut down the field somewhat. I'm checking with the hope of raising a late position bet, folding to a bet and a raise, and calling and reevaluating against a bet and several callers.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard fold.

On this board I am definitely not leading out because you will be called with all kinds of overcards trash, so you have no protection potential. You're likely ahead but dodging all the overcards you are not likely to have that great an equity edge if you can't cut down the field somewhat. I'm checking with the hope of raising a late position bet, folding to a bet and a raise, and calling and reevaluating against a bet and several callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need all that much protection on this board. Betting is fine. As is folding to the raise.

Rob
Old 08-11-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Standard fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need all that much protection on this board. Betting is fine. As is folding to the raise.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Facing the field with two cold in what would be an 8 bet pot would be very nice; I don't want to allow profitable overcard calls on the flop if I can avoid it. I think check-and-see is much better here. A couple of other things to consider:

-What are you planning on doing if raised in this pot? Check-folding the turn? Three-betting?
-Checking the flop I think gives us much greater control of the hand on later streets by allowing a field-limiting check-raise or allowing for different options on the turn.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Standard fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Facing the field with two cold in what would be an 8 bet pot would be very nice; I don't want to allow profitable overcard calls on the flop if I can avoid it. I think check-and-see is much better here. A couple of other things to consider:

-What are you planning on doing if raised in this pot? Check-folding the turn? Three-betting?
-Checking the flop I think gives us much greater control of the hand on later streets by allowing a field-limiting check-raise or allowing for different options on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

By betting out you're offering 6:1 on initial calls. Overcards (especially single overcards like K8s) will often make a large FTOP error by calling here and I'm ok with that.

By checking with the intention of checkraising you're hoping someone in late position bets allowing you to offer 4:1 assuming no one calls in between. I don't see that you'll get a chance to checkraise often enough on a board like this to make it worth worrying about.

Were the pot something more like 8SB, checking and reviewing the action might be a better plan. But with a relatively small pot I'm ok with betting.

Rob