Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: JJ Against a Giant Nit

I'd raise the flop.

You don't want to let overcards see every street before you show aggression. By the river, they've either got you beat or have nothing to draw to.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise the flop.

You don't want to let overcards see every street before you show aggression. By the river, they've either got you beat or have nothing to draw to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I should have raised the flop but for different reasons.

I reiterate that I don't think my opponent is folding a hand like AQ at any point in this hand, ever.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:35 AM

If you don't cap preflop, you have to raise the flop to get 3-bet, then you call and wait until the river to raise. This play, based on your read (of never folding AQ here) gets an extra 1BB in by the end.

If you don't cap the flop (after you raise and he 3bets) then he'll still lead into you on the turn and river, and still pay off the river raise.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't cap preflop, you have to raise the flop to get 3-bet, then you call and wait until the river to raise. This play, based on your read (of never folding AQ here) gets an extra 1BB in by the end.

If you don't cap the flop (after you raise and he 3bets) then he'll still lead into you on the turn and river, and still pay off the river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really thinking something like this is correct...

Whether getting the second raise on the turn or the river is better is interesting. Turn may have the opportunity to get villain to make a fundamental theorem mistake and lay down AQ or something (he'd have odds to draw then). If he's going away at any point (which is unlikely) that'd probably be the time.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:45 AM

depends on what hands you can put him on. if he could 3-bet w/ a small pocket, this is good since he might fold to a turn raise. but if he's got a big A, I think you can raise the turn because he will probably call with 6 outs. and depending on how tight he is, he may even make a crying call on the river w/ A high, thinking that you are trying to push him off with your own A.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Why do you want him to lead every street when you're in position? Also, if you're going to call the preflop 3-bet it should be with the intention of getting a lot of flop action.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:47 AM

While I have no idea who this "Margeaux" character is, I think raising the flop is great. He's likely to 3 bet, or at the very least donk bet the turn (I have a feeling he loves the donk bet, just something about the name). I think you can call the three bet and then raise the turn or river still.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I have no idea who this "Margeaux" character is, I think raising the flop is great. He's likely to 3 bet, or at the very least donk bet the turn (I have a feeling he loves the donk bet, just something about the name). I think you can call the three bet and then raise the turn or river still.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it's the final countdown...
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 AM

I'd raise the turn instead of river.
Even if he's got odds to call, you're making money on raising the turn.

Would you have raised the river if it came:
A?
K?
Q?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want him to lead every street when you're in position? Also, if you're going to call the preflop 3-bet it should be with the intention of getting a lot of flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was certainly the big mistake here.