Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 02:27 PM

Default My First MHSPLNLHE Post - Blind vs Blind confrontation

Betholdem 2/4 NL 6-max.

This is a blind versus blind confrontation with me in the SB. I hadn't been at this table for very long (this was maybe my 2nd or 3rd SB). I didn't know much about the BB and in particular whether he would let me open-limp in the SB, or how often he would raise if I open-limped.

SB (Me) : $372
BB : $430

I'm dealt 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Folded around to me, I open-limp.
BB makes it $20.
I call.

Flop ($40) : T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets $52, I call.

Turn ($144) : 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets $76, I move in for $302.

Comments? Good? Bad? Standard? Non-standard?
Old 07-24-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: My First MHSPLNLHE Post - Blind vs Blind confrontation

here are a few things i would've done differently:

1) fold to the pf raise
2) bet the flop (2/3 pot)

- i do like the push on the turn, as i think its possible that he may just have overcards
Old 07-24-2005, 02:46 PM

Comments:

First of all, you should fold to the 5x the bb raise. You got all of your money in with bottom pair and a flush draw. You have some fold equity here, but most 2/4 players, 6 max especially, don't like to fold over pairs.

Good/Bad?

Bad without a really good read. The one good thing I see is that it is somewhat believable that you have a 10, but, again, I have lost a lot of money trying to make plays against majority of the players at the 2/4 level just because they call way too much in marginal situations.

Standard?

Not even close
Old 07-24-2005, 04:10 PM

I would fold the preflop and bet the flop (1/2-3/4 pot). By calling the preflop, you are calling a big raise preflop out of position with 5 high... very tough to play post flop.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:04 PM

Gotta fold preflop. With the raised pot and a 5-high hand, it's going to be very difficult to make your draws and your moves profitable out of position, and you're not going to flop enough monsters to make up for all the times you miss completely (or run huge bluffs/semi-bluffs and lose a bundle).

The way it played out, it wasn't a bad move on the turn, as he'll have to fear a 10 if he doesn't have one. Should give you an enviable image at the table if you get called, if nothing else.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:12 PM

I'm going to join the chorus that says fold preflop.

BTW, you know what a lot of bad players do when they flop trips? They check the flop, then check/min-raise the turn. Consider doing that here.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to join the chorus that says fold preflop.

BTW, you know what a lot of bad players do when they flop trips? They check the flop, then check/min-raise the turn. Consider doing that here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, unless I'm mistaken, he did do that here.

Edit: Scratch that... he didn't min-raise. I think villain figures hes invested enough and will make the call with a lot of hands.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:02 PM

I like it. It definitely folds missed overcards, and folds an overpair a fair % of the time. You also have 11 outs of called by an overpair.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Deep Thoughts

Thanks to all who took the time to reply to this hand.

My thought process went more or less as follows. Because he raised on the very first instance of my open-limping, this makes the probability of him having a trashy hand fairly high (e.g. as opposed to this having been the first time he had raised out of 6 times I had open-limped). I'm just guesstimating but I would put the trashy hand probability at about 50% or higher, with his plan being to win right there or with a continuation bet on the flop.

If that's true, then I didn't want my plan to be {check-fold the flop unless I flop a big draw or made hand}, because otherwise I'd have probably been better off folding to the preflop raise.

On the flop, I thought I was ahead of the vast majority of trashy hands he might have and ahead of a non-trivial % of legitimate raising hands he could have such as AK. He was probably going to bet the flop no matter what. Therefore, I didn't like check-folding the flop.

His relative bet size decreased a lot on the turn, which I took to be a sign of weakness. Also, I had picked up the flush draw and still thought I had the best hand here a lot of the time. Otherwise, there are few hands he could have against which I am drawing dead.

I didn't take check-minraising into consideration at the time - one problem with it is that if he does move in then, assuming you're behind 100% of the time, you don't have odds to call. You're getting 4:1 but you're drawing dead sometimes.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Deep Thoughts

[ QUOTE ]

If that's true, then I didn't want my plan to be {check-fold the flop unless I flop a big draw or big made hand}, because otherwise I'd have probably been better off folding to the preflop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
FMP - Editing time had expired