Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Bet Sizes

Typically my play should I bet is to range my bet sizes from 1/3 to 2/3. I realize bet sizes will depend largely on situation, whether you want to induce a raise by betting weak, or whether you want to discourage draws. But the thing that separates the good players from the bad is extracting the most chips from a player. Suppose i'm betting 2/3 the pot in the flop and turn to discourage any draws, no danger cards hit and it's HU, should you bet consistently? or bet a small enough amount that a weaker hand will call?

Just wondering if people had any input towards their style for maximizing profit. Are you happy to fire out a pot sized bet on the river and take the pot down right there?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Bet Sizes

If you think you have the best hand after the river, why not bet an amount that will get called? If you think your opponent is calling with middle pair, fire out a value bet of however much you think he will call.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Bet Sizes

I usually keep my river bets at around 1/3 of the pot, unless that 1/3 represents more than half my chips. If it does, I'll push. I find that most players will call 1/3 bet with weaker hands (player dependant!) - but won't call a larger bet. Also, if I get raised - I can re-evaluate the action. If I feel I am getting bluffed by a missed draw, great - now I get all the chips. If I think he may have been slow playing a big hand or hit something on river, I can lay down cheaply. Either way, 1/3 seems to have worked for me since there are no more draws to discourage and I still want to get more chips. Others can ellaborate and share their experience.