Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 07:42 PM

Default TPNK in BB vs. UTG limper, WPT Champ. supersatellite

Paradise $250 WPT Chanpionship supersatellite. Blinds 50/100. I have average stack of T1900 before posting in BB. One limper UTG and folded to me with J8o.

Flop comes jack, rag, rag, rainbow. I check. Villain bets 100, 40% of pot. I checkraise to 300. Villain checkraises allin (has me covered). I fold.

I wasn't sure if villain had a higher jack or a big pair; or maybe he put me on about what I had or a bluff and he was bluffing. I decided it wasn't worth finding out. I had no reads on villain, except that he seemed to be a good tight/aggressive player.

Any comments on how I played the hand?
Old 03-26-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: TPNK in BB vs. UTG limper, WPT Champ. supersatellite

You played the hand well, he played the hand well also. He had position!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:52 PM

I was wondering if by checkraising I was was representing that I had a jack and wanted to win the hand right there before an overcard hit. A good player could then push representing a big pair or a better kicker, which are reasonable hands to limp with UTG.

Actually though, I kept notes on who was raising, calling, limping, reraising etc. That was the only time I saw that guy limp even though there were a lot of hands with several limpers. His raises were all from late position. He definately had a strong hand limping UTG. He might have had a big pair, AJ, KJs, QJs, or a pocket pair, which might have given him a set.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:31 AM

Does an 8 quality as nice kicker?
Old 03-27-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does an 8 quality as nice kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]
In TPNK, I thought N stood for "no." TPTK -- top kicker. TPGK -- good kicker. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if by checkraising I was was representing that I had a jack and wanted to win the hand right there before an overcard hit. A good player could then push representing a big pair or a better kicker, which are reasonable hands to limp with UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is how the hand played out, He could have very well had you beat. I would say more than 75% of the time you are beat there, but he played the hand well if he was behind. You played the hand well also but, you cant call there even if he is bluffing. His range of hands here of a soild player doing this has you crushed.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:20 PM

it wouldn't surprise me if he had a pair just under jacks(88-tt),and not giving you credit for flopping top pair,thinking you flopped a pair to one of the rags on board and reraising you,knowing you'd have to fold,you had little choice here,he made a good strong play and unless you flopped trips or 2 pair you couldn't call,a risk he was willing to take i guess.
i'm just thinking if i have aa here or any big pair and you check to me,i would have had to atleast make a pot sized bet so you couldn't get another card cheaply to beat me on the turn,and with his 100 bet would lead me to believe he didn't have a big pair,or aj,but who really knows?then again maybe he flopped trip rags and was slow playing to get some value out of his trips,but when you raised he figured he could double up thru you,thinking you may be pot committed now.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:17 PM

I'd bet the flop instead of going for the check-raise.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:26 PM

I think if you're going to check raise you need to check raise more. You're giving him pretty good pot odds to call the turn and you know you're going to have a hard time betting into him on the turn which sets you up to lose to a bluff.

I almost never check raise on the flop though and would just bet out 99% of the time.