Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 07:28 AM

Default sites that support mac

For the next year I'm going to be using a Mac and I was wondering if there are any sites besides pokerroom that I can use on a mac? Also, I've never used pokerroom, is it good?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: sites that support mac

PokerRoom is a good site. Less traffic than Party, but good tourneys and plenty of fish. My friend plays on it, and likes it very much.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:52 PM

You need to put Virtual PC on your mac. With that, you can run any windows .exe so basically on virtualpc so you can play any poker site.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to get a real PC. With that, you can run any windows .exe so basically on a real PC you can play any poker site.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

yes, I love my macs too. but get a separate PC for like $300 to play poker on. pays for itself in the first month just from signup bonuses.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 PM

Hi, buy a PC. Look here for more info.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:16 PM

Pacific Poker also supports Mac (like Pokerroom, it uses a multiplatform Java application that you launch directly from their Web site). Pacific takes a lot longer to load than pokerroom, though, and there's a pause after the lobby loads when you might think it's frozen (can't select a game) but it should clear up in a minute or so. And just like Pokerroom, you can't play more than one table at a time. I haven't played either (see below), but FWIW Pokerroom has better bonuses and seems to be smoother than Pacific.

No sites currently have Mac downloadables - I would expect some eventually as the Mac's market share grows.

I use Virtual PC, which can be pretty slow unless you optimize the hell out of it (I have a dual G5, which helps too) I've found some sites to be more stable than others in VPC: In particular, the Cryptologic sites run like crap (Caribbean Sun ran like molasses, then choked, folded my hand and sat me out after I flopped a straight flush! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]). Even Party will slow down if you try to open more then three windows (including lobby), and for some reason opening a tournament lobby there can freeze everything for between 10 seconds and several minutes).

I'll probably eventually get a cheap Windows laptop for poker, but Party, Ultimate Bet and Poker Stars run well enough for me in VPC. (UB gets special props for its speed, even with multitabling.)

HTH.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:27 PM

Incorrect. You can multi-table on pokerroom java client. I have gone up to 3 tables, it's probably possible to do more.

Bugsysclub has mac downloadable client. I never played there though, as the choice of games seems to be rather poor. Screaming Swede at WSOP04 qualified through there, I believe.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And just like Pokerroom, you can't play more than one table at a time.

No sites currently have Mac downloadables - I would expect some eventually as the Mac's market share grows.

[/ QUOTE ]
these two points are incorrect. you can easily play multiple tables on Pokerroom's java client. and there are two downloadable poker sites for Mac (Bugsy's Club and Victorias Poker) though I wouldn't recommend either due to traffic and/or shadyness issues.

oh, and Mac market share is NOT growing. I love Apple Computer but that sh*t peaked in like 1994 when the first PowerPC 601 models came out. it recovered somewhat during the initial iMac era but there's no way they're going to be any more than a Bang & Olufsen niche-type of company from now on.

Apple has $7B in debt-free cash sitting around and has the freedom to do whatever they want in business. that's worth a lot more than pesky market share, just ask Compaq or Gateway.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:39 PM

Hi five!

Apple's market share may not grow (I think it will, rather significantly, once they move to intel processors), but the total install base certainly will.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can easily play multiple tables on Pokerroom's java client.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just tried it again, and you're right.

[ QUOTE ]
and there are two downloadable poker sites for Mac (Bugsy's Club and Victorias Poker) though I wouldn't recommend either due to traffic and/or shadyness issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll amend that to "no reputable sites with downloadable clients." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
oh, and Mac market share is NOT growing.

[/ QUOTE ]
As ppl like to say here, incorrect. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/0...markets03.html

I do agree that market share isn't everything, though. Ask BMW...