Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 07:07 PM

Default (22) Second Set on a 2 flush board

I seem to have the most trouble playing hands like this. If I assume I'm ahead (ie, no flush draws, I seem to be wrong and get drawn out), yet when I bet it like this I feel like I'm not getting maximum value. With the others in the hand, is it wrong to assume someone will have AQ or a flush and give action?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

CO (t1820)
Button (t180)
SB (t3220)
BB (t1470)
UTG (t1530)
UTG+1 (t2260)
Hero (t1510)
MP2 (t1510)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t120, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t90, UTG+1 calls t90.

Flop: (t495) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t450</font>, CO folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: t945
Old 12-10-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: (22) Second Set on a 2 flush board

Betting the pot here isn't a bad thing. Just because they folded doesn't mean it was your fault for betting. However Betting 3/4 of the pot (like 375) is probably what I would have done.

You don't want to bet small (or god forbid check this board), get called, have a scare card hit on the turn and then be facing a big bet. Your line is far better than getting de-stacked by a turned straight.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (22) Second Set on a 2 flush board

Your line's not bad here. You've got three players, a scary board, and a great hand - but one that can easily be outdrawn with a T, K, A, or club.

I personally bet about 425 here...but potting it's not a bad idea, either. Bottom line is, if someone's got AQ they're going to give you action - if they're on a strong draw, many will call whether they're getting proper odds or not (and with you having a set, their true odds of drawing out are lower than they think). If nobody has these things, you're not going to get any action...but with three opponents, you can't give a free or cheap card.

Just remember, picking up the 495 right here is good -- someone shoving it in on a draw or one pair is better -- giving a cheap card and losing your stack is horrendous. You played it fine.