Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Betting Marginal Hands...Help Please (mostly PL, NL)

Most players understand the concept of 'protecting a hand', i.e., you flop a set and want to give the caller(s) less than 3-1 giving them the _Wrong_ price to call ( this is a typical example )...

With a "playable hand like KJ (around back) for example, when you bet it, should you bet the KJ hand as though it's AK?....OR bet LESS as to not get "So Committed" so, I guess, you can get away from the hand having "lost less"( if raised) OR protect it against draws?

I usually know what price to GET, but with a "marginal" hand I have a problem in "what Price to Give" in that my hand may not be the Best hand when I bet it ( another example might be Hero = J10, flop J 2 5...take the lead or give a free card. How MUCH to take the lead WITH ??...Bet, redefine the hand and check the turn??

I hope someone will please dive in here, all comments welcome.

Thank you.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Betting Marginal Hands...Help Please (mostly PL, NL)

This will sound like a copout, but you're not going to get an answer that will cover all situations. Stack sizes, opponents, position, flop texture are all very important. Each situation is going to be a little different. You should really go over to the SSNL forum and post specific hands.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a "playable hand like KJ (around back)

[/ QUOTE ]
What does “around back” mean? TIA.

[ QUOTE ]
another example might be Hero = J10, flop J 2 5...take the lead or give a free card. How MUCH to take the lead WITH ??

[/ QUOTE ]
I can’t give better advise than Roundest. Factors such as those he’s mentioned need to be considered. None-the-less, I’ll make an off-hand comment.

Say I’m in first position with JT and a flop of J 2 5. Normally, I wouldn’t want to give a free card. Against one or two opponents, I might make a big enough bet to hope to take the pot. Against three or more opponents, I might make a defensive bet. In that case, I might lay it down against a big raise.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:16 AM

Yea there is no way to answer this without information on opponents, stacks, playing styles, if they are weak or calling stations, aggressive, bluff, are on tilt, have gas, and so on.

Everything depends on everyone at the table.

But as a general advise in tournaments I would say you want to bet enough that you are taken seriously, the bet looks like it could be a lure, and it the least you lose to a better hand. This all might seem tricky but consider your position and all the other players. Many factors determine how you play the hand. Oh and listen to your instincts. Mine are 95% of the time on the money in poker. Sometimes I don't listen to them because the math doesn't add up... then I kick myself.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:58 PM

If i am first to act after flop, i would lead out and bet around 2/3rds the pot. I am too vulnerable to overcards and draws especially against multiple opponents.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:21 PM

I decided a while ago that if I was playing KJ I would be raising it, although most of the time I just muck it.

You absolutly have to bet your JT top pair hand, too many overs can come off on the turn. Gotta make the draws pay, besides if you are behind in the hand you'll likely find that out when someone comes over the top of you.