Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Did I play my poket 8\'s wrong?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

*At this point I was pretty sure I had the best hand or else I would have been reraised.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

* I re-raised here to isolate AND also to try find out if BB has a 5 (which I would have been reraised if he did have it most likely)

Turn: (6 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

*Now the scare card comes. I figured he most likely did not have an ace or i would have seen more agression preflop so i reraise.

River: (10 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Now comes the 2nd 3 which he very likely could have based on the agression he has shown. After I get re-raised I am pretty sure I am beat, but I dont want to get fancy and attempt a "monster laydown" with the pot being as large as it is so I call.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 3d 2c (full house, threes full of fives).
Hero has 8s 8h (two pair, eights and fives).
Outcome: BB wins 16 BB. </font>

Too much agression here??
Not enough agression on the flop??
Should I have played this differently??
Im pretty sure I played the river wrong...
Old 07-18-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Did I play my poket 8\'s wrong?

I like the flop raise, he probably thinks you have over cards, and missed this flop.

With him betting into on the turn, he may have a piece of the board, nice raised, he didn't 3 bet, so I don't think he has a 5.

River, looks like you are beat here. By the way he played it, looks like he has a 3. Not sure if I could fold, but I think its the right play. Unless he is a maniac, I think your beat here.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 AM

Preflop: Fine.

Flop: Fine.

Turn: Fine. Just calling the stop n go would be fine as well. It's read-dependent.

River: You're no longer beating anything logical for villain to have, so I don't understand the raise. If he overplayed A-high on the flop, you're beat. If he overplayed a 3 on the turn, you're beat. If he underplayed trips, you're beat. If he underplayed a bigger pocket pair preflop you're beat. The only hands for villain that you beat are 22, 44, 66 and 77. I don't like those odds.

Folding the river is probably +EV but I wouldn't be able to bring myself to fold for one more bet. Raising is definitely wrong.

Edit: You can easily fold the river when you get reraised.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM

I am not sure I agree with the river raise. The only thing that makes sense for him to have is a three yet you raise anyway only to get reraised as you suspected. Just call on the river and save yourself a bet. Bet definitally call at this point, pot is too big. Say nice hand, your welcome, and beat the hell out of him the rest of game. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 11:45 AM

I like the flop raise, but I am not sure about the raise on the Turn. It may be a bit passive, but I would likely call. When I do raise in a situation like this (which I only do when I have a read on the player, usually I would raise someone who is aggressive post flop or has proven to be a bit of a bluffer) it is to get either to get the other player to fold if they are bluffing, or to get a cheap showdown.

I don't like the river raise at all, any 3, any 5, any A, 2 &amp; 4, and any pocket pair higher than yours wins (I know that with AA - QQ you would have likely seen more aggression, but they could have had JJ - 99, and slowed down given the 2 5's on the board).

Overall, I don't think that you played this too badly, but I think that you could have had the same results with 2 less bets.

Amy
Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM

I like pf, flop, turn.

When he bets into you on the river though he's either a habitual bluffer or trying to string you along for more bets. I would just call as I think the strange way he played this hand means he's bluffing at least one time in 10. Also now any A,3,5 are ahead, more reason to just call.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:54 AM

just call the river bet. you beat nothing but a bluff, so he'll fold to your raise if he is or 3-bet you with a better hand.

edit: poop, deception beats me by a minute. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 12:02 PM

I like all streets except the river - I'd just call him down. He's only folding something you beat, and, as you saw, getting reraised sucks. Good aggression on the turn, although I think your read is a little off because A3 is a very possible holding for the villain. There's no reason to worry too much about the Ace, but don't totally ignore it, especially if he reraises.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:03 PM

I don't see how you can conclusively put BB off of any winning hand. If he has a 5, then he has the best possible hand on the flop, and he's smart to call and preserve action on later streets instead of announcing his hand to you.

His turn bet might mean A3. Or it might mean he came in with A-rag and was semi-bluffing the flop. Or it might mean he has a 5 and, acting first, he's making sure you don't get a free card.

Calling down the turn bet is the furthest I'd go with with this hand.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM

River raise doesn't make sense. I am very interested in the turn raise. Lots of people seem to think its a good play. I don't quite get it. Is a call bad? Pot is pretty big so fold is not an option. But his bet represented an Ace, what benefit may you get from your raise? You are preflop raiser so he may think you have a bigger ace, but I don't think he will fold anyways given he bet out the flop/turn and the pot size. Why not just call?