Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: something i have been doing of late

[ QUOTE ]
Now THAT sounds like a good time, kind of like bungee-jumping (another thing I'm too scared actually to try).

[/ QUOTE ]
I've always been afraid of tying a rope around me and jumping off something too - now skydiving is different THAT's FUN !
Old 11-21-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i believe in 30/22. i don't know that your plan is the greatest though, bob. my VPIP went up over time as i became a better player and started finding more spots where i thought could play hands profitably. i didn't wake up one day and say 30/20 is the way to go, someone make me a starting chart. i just go and play every hand the best i think i can, and at the end of the day if my stats end up around 30/22 or 25/16 so be it, it won't make much difference. i'm the only one who will really even notice. i'd be much more concerned about improving my game and trying to up my winrate at my current level than playing 10x smaller limits just so i can maybe add more hands against far better players later. i guess you think hitting 30/20 will improve your winrate, and that may be true over time, but i don't think you can go from 22-24 to 30 overnight and expect immediate results.

if you really want to play near 30/20, well i wouldn't recommend playing out of the BB like flawless does, but like he said i think just doing a bit more stealing and probably a lot more isolating is what gets your numbers up there. i really don't think we're playing many more hands in EP than the rest of you. i'm quite confident though that slowly increasing your VPIP bit by bit until it gets up there is a much better idea than playing 25% more hands immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate once listed 5 steps to getting 3 BB+ at 10/20 short. Can anyone find that post?

Krishan
Old 11-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah this is the complete opposite for me.
At 3/6 and 5/10 I was a 24-25/18.

At 10/20 I'm a 28-29/19.
two things, make sure that average players per hand for your stats at each limit are similar, if there are less at 10/20 you will have different stats. And the blind structure here makes a big difference also.

The factors that I think have the most affect on this in my opinion are:

1 by far and obvious: # of players at the table. everyone talks about 30/20 but doesnt say APH, even filtering for 5-6 handed i dont like. try filtering for 5 handed and 6 handed seperately.

2. blind structure - the 3/6 and 5/10 structure make tighter play optimal and its a substantial difference SH

3. opponents aggression and post-flop skill. More aggressive opponents and you play less hands, worse opponents and you play more hands. Worse AND aggressive opponents and I guess it offsets somewhat but you probably play more hands depending on #4

4. your post-flop skill level.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:54 PM

i moved from 23/18 to 30/22 one day. i got absolutely crushed. i was completely overwhelmed by the unique and marginal situations. also, it was hard to handle concentrating on so many more hands when 4 tabling. tilt, in the form of total confusion and frustration followed.

i think its best to try to move gradually. start by stealing more, especially from the button. get up to around 40 atsb. then defend more especially aginst the guys with atsb over 30. defend everything playable against these guys.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:01 PM

yeah i like what victor said. Work on it gradually. It really is amazing how many more 'tough' situations you're put in. But that's what makes great players great is they handle them well and you'll learn to too as you're their more often.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate once listed 5 steps to getting 3 BB+ at 10/20 short. Can anyone find that post?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not Nate, but do you mean this gem from El D?

Guy.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:25 PM

just play as many hands as you are comfortable with playing. experiment and see which hands you think are profitable.

playing more hands is clearly more profitable than playing less hands, common sensically. The more hands you play against bad players, the more money you can take from the bad players, the wider your ranges become, the more difficult it is for your opponents to read you.

and just because there are some large winners who play 24/17 style, doesn't change the fact that the best SH players in the world play 30/20 style (or even laggier). i don't think there is much of a debate about this, but i'd like to hear what the other side says.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not Nate, but do you mean this gem from El D?

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, looking through that thread a bit its amazing how much they mentino 4BB+. What a difference a year makes.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, looking through that thread a bit its amazing how much they mentino 4BB+. What a difference a year makes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would not be surprised if an expert player could pull 4BB/100 out of the Party 10/20 game.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
re=motelky

[/ QUOTE ]

WOTD

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

This very well might be the next "jopke."