Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Small two pair + flush draw OOP

Villain in this hand is very lag preflop but so far seems pretty solid postflop. I think his stats were about 60/25. How is my play on all streets?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($250.60)
UTG ($112.65)
MP ($147)
Button ($417)
SB ($239.95)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($9) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, Button calls $8.

Turn: ($25) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $70</font>, Hero calls $55.

Final Pot: $165
Old 12-09-2005, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Small two pair + flush draw OOP

Bet the turn. River looks okay.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 AM

You say he is solid postflop. Have you seen him make any bluffs like this on the river, because he hasn't invested a lot to want to bluff at this pot. His call and check seems like a draw and the overbet is used by aggressive opponents so that they can get paid off. I don't know if I call this river raise.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:24 AM

My thinking on not betting the turn here is that I didn't want him to blow me out of the pot with a big raise when I had so many outs to improve at the river. I was planning a check-call. Bad reasoning?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You say he is solid postflop. Have you seen him make any bluffs like this on the river, because he hasn't invested a lot to want to bluff at this pot. His call and check seems like a draw and the overbet is used by aggressive opponents so that they can get paid off. I don't know if I call this river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

He seemed solid from what I saw postflop, but it wasn't over very long. I couldn't say for sure whether he wouldn't overplay the straight on the river, and I thought he could be raising a smaller flush as well. I was also thinking that the only hand that can be beating me is the A high flush because the J high likely would have bet the turn (straight). I do agree though, the bet looked too big to be a bluff.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking on not betting the turn here is that I didn't want him to blow me out of the pot with a big raise when I had so many outs to improve at the river. I was planning a check-call. Bad reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it doesnt make sense to bet flop check turn. He open minraised the button pf, honestly how good is his hand going to be that hes going to try and push you off your hand? You are ahead or have strong draws to be ahead, bet the turn.