Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Reads when 4+ tabling

what sort of reads should I be looking at getting when 4+ tabling? often I find it tough enough to follow the action let alone develop a read, make a note about it, and then look up on that note later and act upon it.

what should i be looking for to maximize efficiency/effectiveness?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Reads when 4+ tabling

use pokertracker and playerview (or something like it) and learn what the numbers mean

Steve
Old 10-13-2005, 06:11 AM

usually the first thing I do when I open 4 up is look for people sitting in 2 or more of my tables, I note these players as multi tablers and assume that at the very least they have a clue.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:58 AM

There is usually at least one all-in preflop in the first round (at least at $33, and sometimes $55). Since I 8-table, and don't have time to make big time reads, I look at what kinds of hands people commit to AI PF, and make deductions based off of that.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:57 PM

I can usually keep good mental reads (no time for notes) when the game gets 5-handed or less when I'm 8-tabling. Just watch who's pushing a lot, who likes to call, etc.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:12 PM

i only 4-table, but the note i make most is something like "Q9 b15" meaning he limped Q9 at the 10/15 level. i'm not sure how useful it is, but it's good to know somebody's fishy and will probably stack off with TPNK if you keep betting.

then i rely mostly on PT/player view for pfr/vpip numbers, which is where 90% of my info comes from. it's useful to try to watch how they move. for example, if someone was 3/0 over 30 hands and then 12/8 over 40 they're a pushbot.

i also keep an eye out for people who do things like fold in the BB with 1 bb behind. they get tagged dnupo (does not understand pot odds).
Old 10-13-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what sort of reads should I be looking at getting when 4+ tabling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about you, but I just keep my eyes open for anything out of the ordinary.

If there are some limpers, a flop, a CB, and everyone folds, who cares, you didn't learn anything. But if there are two or three players all-in, play close attention to the winner's hole cards, firing up the HH if necessary to see how they got there.

Or if you notice somebody raising every hand. Or calling every hand but folding to any bet. Or a calling station. Whatever catches your eye.

Take physical/online notes if you have a moment, otherwise just try to remember.

Of course, if you are in a hand with other players, that should make it much easier to remember.

[ QUOTE ]

often I find it tough enough to follow the action let alone develop a read, make a note about it, and then look up on that note later and act upon it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's part of the job. Nobody said it was easy.

[ QUOTE ]

what should i be looking for to maximize efficiency/effectiveness?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably calling stations, because they are most likely to give you a big payoff, and least likely to fall for any moves.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:18 PM

I got this from Harrington but I find it works well when 4 tabling. Pay attention to the 2 players to the left of me because all your steal attempts have to go through them. And once you have them figured out then pay attention to the two players to the right of you.

GL
Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 PM

It would also be nice to know who are frequent bluffers, who are extremely tight in their blinds, and who push with nothing. (Like people pushing 98s after a big raise and callers at level 2. lol) With PokerAce Hud you can see the mucked hands at showdown, that helps.

I think taking notes 4 tabling is easy. The way I make them is like this: (100,6h) 4bb raise w/ A4o EP big stack. This means blinds are 50/100, its 6 handed, and he raised 400 in EP with a big stack with A4o. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But I think making notes 8-10 handed is hard, because if you make a note, you probably have 4 tables waiting already, especially if you're on the bubble on 9 tables or something.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

then i rely mostly on PT/player view for pfr/vpip numbers, which is where 90% of my info comes from. it's useful to try to watch how they move. for example, if someone was 3/0 over 30 hands and then 12/8 over 40 they're a pushbot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really all that useful, though? The whole point of the pushbot strategy is that it's robust-- the best you can do against pushbots once the pushing starts is turn into one yourself.

I don't use these stats programs because I'd rather rely on my own observations, but maybe this is a leak. Can they really be counted on to indicate subtleties like TL pre-flop, TW post-flop?