Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-30-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Interesting Turn Decision With JJ Overpair

SB is tight and a bit passive pre-flop, but more aggresive post-flop at 14.3/5.91/2.07 after 575 hands.

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.00 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???

Comments afterwards.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Interesting Turn Decision With JJ Overpair

Bets and calls down if you think villian will c/r with a worse pp or draw or bets and folds if you think villian will only c/r with a 9 or straight. Checking is a bad option IMO.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:59 PM

I think you have a choice between bet the turn and fold to a raise, or check behind on the turn and call the river for the same cost of 1 bet. Your best choice is probably read dependant IMHO.

So if you thought that your opponent was loose passive, I would sugggest betting the turn to protect against overcards and folding to a raise, as a lot of players like to slowplay trips on the flop and attempt a check raise on the turn.

However against a tight agressive oppenent, I would prefer to check behind on the turn and call the river, to avoid having to call a turn raise in case my opponent was semi-bluff raising with a weaker pair or flush draw.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:02 PM

I'd bet here. I think it's more likely that he has overcards and is hoping to spike top pair than it is that he called a raise OOP with a hand that includes a 9 - especially given how tight he plays pre-flop.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:04 PM

Bets. If you get c/r...I don't know, would he pull off a c/r bluff? I think you'd have to call down.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:12 PM

This reminds me some of the turn play section in HPFAP. DS talks about frequently checking the turn with strong hands in order to c/r your opponents and have them fear a turn c/r enough to give you free cards when you need them. Pretty good stuff. I am not saying this opponent is that advanced but by checking you are giving him the best of it.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bets and calls down if you think villian will c/r with a worse pp or draw or bets and folds if you think villian will only c/r with a 9 or straight. Checking is a bad option IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think checking is an ok option if we don't know how to react to a c/r from the villian. Yes we give a free card to KQ or AJ or something that has 6 outs, put the post is small and we make that up by not being face with a c/r and maybe getting a bet on the river from a KQ/AJ hand that might have folded the turn.

If I had a strong read on villian though and felt more comfortable with what do with a c/r I think we have to bet though.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me some of the turn play section in HPFAP. DS talks about frequently checking the turn with strong hands in order to c/r your opponents and have them fear a turn c/r enough to give you free cards when you need them. Pretty good stuff. I am not saying this opponent is that advanced but by checking you are giving him the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is very useful for squeezing extra EV out of people as well as checking behind on the turn HU to induce a bluff. These are obviously situation and opponent specific. Both have helped me get a little more out of people at 2/4 (when I use them correctly).

In this hand I would bet the turn to avoid giving a free card. theres too many overcards to my pair of 9s to risk having it checked through.

If opponent is straightforward post-flop, you have an easy fold to a check-raise.

If villain likes to get tricky, call the check-raise, see what comes on the turn and most likely call down.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think checking is an ok option if we don't know how to react to a c/r from the villian. Yes we give a free card to KQ or AJ or something that has 6 outs, put the post is small and we make that up by not being face with a c/r and maybe getting a bet on the river from a KQ/AJ hand that might have folded the turn.

If I had a strong read on villian though and felt more comfortable with what do with a c/r I think we have to bet though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tehox i couldn't disagree more. What are we so worried about here getting outplayed or moved off the best hand? No reason to give this guy infinite odds to draw or not gain value from a worse made hand than ours. FWIW if he is drawing he pays a bet on the turn not on the river. If he misses i doubt he bluffs at the river all that often into a pot this size. If he does c/r and hero decides to call down he gains good info on how this guy plays post flop what he calls open raises with from the sb etc etc which could help him later in a pot much larger than this one. Checking because you fear getting check/raised here is just bad poker IMO.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:02 PM

Interesting responses.

I think I'll throw in the next piece of the puzzle for kicks...

Turn: (4.00 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero ???