Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Short and sweet. Do you call?

7 left, blinds 50-100. I raise my 77 to 300 with ~ 1200 chips from EP. BB calls with ~ 3600 chips. BB goes all-in on flop of 2S,JD,5S. No read on BB, do you call?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Short and sweet. Do you call?

[ QUOTE ]
7 left, blinds 50-100. I raise my 77 to 300 with ~ 1200 chips from EP. BB calls with ~ 3600 chips. BB goes all-in on flop of 2S,JD,5S. No read on BB, do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well TD, you raised 25% of your stack preflop, and now there's 72% (650t to your 900t) in the middle not counting his push. I realize he has you covered but if you called and won you'd be sitting at a little over double what you started with before your preflop raise. (2450t)

I know your going to hate this, but what are the others at stack wise? How did villian accumulate his 3600t? Raw aggression, bluff bets, or solid hands/play? He might make a move like this on a flush draw and figures he can bully you out of the pot. Not that it would make much difference but do you have a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?

I'm thinking he's drawing....if he had a made hand, he would bet less or check raise in order to get your stack. Hell maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're ahead here. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Husker
Old 01-23-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know your going to hate this, but what are the others at stack wise? How did villian accumulate his 3600t?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't rememeber either I'm afraid (I didn't know the answer to the 2nd question at the time either). Although I decided that I was going to have to something soon as the limits were going up and I was fairly short stacked (this was 10 handed 1500 starting chips).

I had also decided that I wanted to either double up, steal the blind or bust out with my hand. Is it too early to think that?
Old 01-23-2005, 05:19 PM

The problem is the initial raise from that position. Limping is better and the standard way to play in this situation. You really need to either play for a set (limp) or a blind steal which with this sort of hand (inevitable overcards on flop) is all-in. Problem is the blinds don't really justify an all-in here so overall I say you should limp.

In the situation you mention, I would probably call but dependent on my read on the other guy. You say you have no read but you have seen him win substantial chips so must have some opinion on this.

The reason I call is that he might well think you have overcards, have missed and he can bluff you out.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:26 PM

I agree with Husker. Villain is most likely drawing and is just trying to push you out. When I have seen this situation, the big stack is doing this without a made hand so I would probably call.

As to being in the mindset of going all the way with this hand, I would say you should not set your mind to this no matter what the flop. After raising, you either have 900 or 1200 chips (I cannot tell from the first post), so I figure you are most likley not that far from third place. You still have room to double up in a better situation.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:19 PM

What buy-in is this, and where?

edit:
On 2nd thought, could you just dig up & post the HH? It's not much effort to ask for in return for the brilliant advice we give [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2005, 06:34 PM

So you don't like the short and sweet huh? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

It was a $33 on PokerRoom. PokerRoom don't provide hand history by email and I didn't save the hand...but if 2+2 asks 2+2 receives. So after a dig through my cache I found it:

Seat 1: anfield69 ($2,060 in chips)
Seat 2: Hero [7D,7H] ($1,190 in chips)
Seat 4: Bokenwolves ($2,807 in chips)
Seat 5: yahboohoo ($3,896 in chips)
Seat 6: marlowbeach ($1,075 in chips)
Seat 7: TheKid59 ($3,612 in chips)
Seat 10: Camjam ($360 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
marlowbeach posts blind ($50), TheKid59 posts blind ($100).

PRE-FLOP
Camjam folds, anfield69 folds, Hero bets $325, Bokenwolves folds, yahboohoo folds, marlowbeach folds, TheKid59 calls $225.

FLOP [board cards 2S,JD,5S ]
TheKid59 bets $865, Hero ?

As you can see I was relativly short stacked and approaching the blind which will either be 100 or more likely 150. Sometimes I will muck 77 in this situation, sometimes raise. I don't think I would ever limp at this stage.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:50 PM

Preflop push or fold.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I would ever limp at this stage

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not limp from EP when you have more than 10x BB. If you limped you'd likely have one or two more callers, although possibly the BB has a big pair and would raise it preflop. But than his all-in bet would mean I have top pair beat.
He probably wouldn't bluff all in against 2 or 3 callers.

If he checks than you either check or bet 2/3 of the pot say 250 with a single over card.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:43 PM

I raise to 275 and then fold to his all in. He could easily have a J and is scared of the possible flush draw.