Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: How\'s my line 15/30 Live

After he calls the turn, why not check the river and give him a chance to bluff or value bet a Q? You don't beat another K and chances are slim you beat a hand that raises.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:33 PM

If I were playing live 15/30 and had no read on the button's style (unless he were a new player) I'd feel pretty silly.

That said, I don't see how you can put the button on a bluff-raise unless you know him to be this kind of player. Especially in most 15/30 live games I've seen the chance of JT bluff-raising the river here is much much much closer to 0% than it is to the pot odds we need to call this raise. Seriously, who bluff-raises a river that's so obviously a rag? Against most live med/low stakes players I would pretty much always put the button on a slowplay here and fold, wishing I had checked the river.

Also, at like 15/30 live games in vegas or foxwoods I've found that most players are pretty passive and are likely to check behind you with top pair on the river unless they have one of the top two kickers. Your river bet doesn't look like a very good value bet to me (in this sort of game)I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the button check-down KT or KJ on the river here.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 PM

I'm calling.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer betting the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand checking the river, but why bet out on the flop? Any straight draws like JT are going to call profitably for one bet, but not for two right?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand checking the river, but why bet out on the flop? Any straight draws like JT are going to call profitably for one bet, but not for two right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, but we're talking about 1 hand. Also, JT gets more profitable if the flop checks through.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sb I hold K3o, 3 limpers I complete and BB checks.

Flop is KQ7 rainbow, its checked to button who bets, I check raise, folded back to button who calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this board I like this play a lot better than leading. Had the first but come from early position, you should usally fold. But there is a good chance button bets worse hands. At the same time, you want the J9 and T9 type hands out or to be forced to call two cold.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is 2, completing rainbow, I bet, Button calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good bet.

[ QUOTE ]
River is 5, I bet, button raises.
Call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like your chances but if button is the least bit tricky you might want to call (depending on how tricky of course). In any event, I like checking the river with the intention of calling a lot more than betting. This gives missed draws a chance to bet.

~ Rick
Old 08-25-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think J-rag, T-rag, are much worse hands to call for one chip than A or K rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

It pains me to say this but I agree.

~ Rick
Old 08-25-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am more convinced than ever that, if there's a hand to fold for one chip in the small blinds, it's unsuited ace-rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assuming you also mean king-rag. In either case, I sort of disagree. The key is you must play the weak king or weak ace well, and sometimes playing well means checking and folding to a bet that is made from early position into several remaining opponents. This is especially true when the bet is already called elsewhere.

IOW, there are times when giving up early is the better play, but people on this board seem unwilling to make laydowns with top pair lately.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, on the river, you've been betting all the way and now an apparent blank comes and he raises. It's virtually impossible that one pair is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two years ago I'd agree completely. But I'm seeing more and more aggro plays in spots where we never used to see aggro plays. If its an unknown or new player, I think it should usually be paid off (keep in mind I advised checking and calling on the river elsewhere in the thread).