Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Does Bonds play again?
Yes 35 76.09%
No 11 23.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2005, 02:56 AM

Default How much would you pay for a Barry G hand problem book?

Let's say Barry writes a book consisting of at least 200 pages of just hand problems with detailed analysis of his thought process for every decision. Hands from all of the most popular games will be discussed (LH, NLH, PLH, 7CS, PLO, O8, TD, etc.)
Old 07-22-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: How much would you pay for a Barry G hand problem book?

It seems that most profitable for Barry would be to price the book at $250. 22% of voters are willing to pay that much. It would be interesting to hear what Barry thinks about the results of the poll. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 PM

Where's jakethebake? He's got a hand problem book he's always pushing on this forum. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that most profitable for Barry would be to price the book at $250. 22% of voters are willing to pay that much. It would be interesting to hear what Barry thinks about the results of the poll. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Writing a book is a lot of work. I spent two years, on and off, on the last one. Even my detractors should have been able to notice the effort I put in, insuring that the quality of the production was better than anything before it.

One issue about writing a book of hands is that it slightly goes against my idea that poker is much more than hands. But I'm assuming some of you liked the way I wrote what I was thinking about as I played the hands in Ace on the River, so there is some value there.

I have thought about what hands I would include, and, as in AOTR, they would primarily be hands that I screwed up. There was a five hand meltdown in one round of play at the 2003 WSOP that led to my elimiation on day three. (Some of you will remember that I was the chip leader on day one.) I have only mentioned these hands to close family members. And now you want to pay me to describe what I did wrong. I would almost be more inclined to pay someone so I wouldn't have to expose my incompetence! Fortunately, I wasn't at the hole card table.

Barry
Old 07-22-2005, 11:56 PM

Default hahahahahhahaha (nt)

nt
Old 07-23-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One issue about writing a book of hands is that it slightly goes against my idea that poker is much more than hands. But I'm assuming some of you liked the way I wrote what I was thinking about as I played the hands in Ace on the River, so there is some value there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's it. Hands are hands, I play the same hands as you do (less money on the table obviously). But you are a top player because of your thinking process. Theory is important, but I could teach my mom to play winning micro limit poker, I am 100% sure of that. It is "the way of thinking" that is hard to change, to "learn". For me one of the most important things in Harrington's books is because he explains what he thinks when he is in the hand. Now I finally understand what are all those pro's thinking for such a long time. Before that I thought it's "Does he have it or not? Does he have it or not? Does..." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I have thought about what hands I would include, and, as in AOTR, they would primarily be hands that I screwed up. There was a five hand meltdown in one round of play at the 2003 WSOP that led to my elimiation on day three. (Some of you will remember that I was the chip leader on day one.) I have only mentioned these hands to close family members. And now you want to pay me to describe what I did wrong. I would almost be more inclined to pay someone so I wouldn't have to expose my incompetence! Fortunately, I wasn't at the hole card table.

[/ QUOTE ] Hehe. Well, everybody screws up sometimes. I saw that many readers of your book were very positive because you included such hands. But they don't have to be only hand like that.
I was always wondering is it -EV for you pro's to actually describe your thinking process. Most of poker authors say it isn't because they change the way they play in certain situations all the time. But even so, every author (including Harrington in his books) can choose not to disclose all details about the hand (as who are the opponents etc.)
Old 07-23-2005, 12:48 AM

I would love to see something like that. I thoroughly enjoyed AOTR and would really be happy to see a follow-up produced.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:12 AM

I am one of those who definitely appreciated the effort put into the book. And before I read about it here I had already noticed how interesting it was to read the hands where Barry himself admits to playing it badly.

That was as interesting an aspect of the hand-examples as the actual play of the hands.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:51 AM

ah....probably the cover price. Thats the only correct answer unless u know a book scalper that could get it to u right off the press.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:47 PM

22% of people on this forum isnt 22% of people who would buy the book.