Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-27-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Should I give up online poker?

Many of you here have known me since I've posted for about 2 years now. You all mainly know me for saying some sites are rigged. Yes I know the saying, "if you think online poker is rigged you are a bad player".

I have been playing online for about 4 years, live for 10.

I just cannot seem to consistantly win online. I have some huge swings cashing out 500 then losing a big amount.

When I play live I win lesser amounts but win more consistantly. I don't see myself as a bad player. 10 years of experience should be more than enough to grasp the game. I play decent starting hands only bluff in position. However I do go on tilt at times and that is my biggest downfall.

Should I just give up playing online? For starters I really don't trust it. Second I feel it is way too volatile.

Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Should I give up online poker?

[ QUOTE ]
Should I give up online poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 11-27-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Should I give up poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Should I just give up playing online?
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:02 PM

You could just learn how to play.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:36 PM

without a doubt something-clever is correct.

(nice honest post though Gabby).

blaming it on the nature of online play is inappropriate.

it is an extremely beatable game...and feeling like you have a 'grasp' of how to play just because you have played for 10 years is not the correct approach to take.

If you are losing, then you aren't playing well.

There was that whole bit about the 2000:1 nature of the inside-straight draw beating you and some other incorrect math ideas that lead me to believe there is much you could learn.

I suck at math....but at least I KNOW that I suck at math...and I take some steps to counter that a bit.
First is just listening to those on the forums who I know are strong players.

There are some terrific players on these forums who are willing to share their ideas with those who listen.

If you choose not to accept their ideas that's up to you.

However, if you just think the online-game is 'not right' and there's no way you can get around this mindset then I just don't see why you would want to play there in the first place.
If you think it's 'rigged' (or whatever) then certainly you shouldn't be playing there. That's common-sense.

It's up to you whether to accept that it's legit and play accordingly...or whether it's not-legit and simply stop playing there.
I don't see how there is much in-between in this matter...but evidently there are lots of players out there who think the cards "aren't right" online but who keep playing there anyway. It's a mentality I will probably never understand.

Also - I don't know what stakes you are playing....but $500 swings don't sound that 'huge' to me.
they are if you are playing .5/1 limit I suppose...but I seem to recall that you played NL-100 and NL-200 some (and on a shortish bankroll sometimes) if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:51 PM

The obvious quick answer seems to be, yes. You don't win; you tilt; you think the games might be rigged.

However, you have played for four years and unless you have suddenly decided you can't afford your losses, or you don't enjoy spending your time playing online any more, then stopping what for you has been the equivalent for others of watching TV, or playing sports, or having fun with their families, or whatever, and has been your entertainment, would leave a void in your life which could actually cause you unhappiness and malcontent.

Obviously, something has changed, or you wouldn't be asking the question, and you "want" to give it up. Therefore, I would suggest that instead of your making a promise to yourself that you might not be able to keep and saying that you will never play online again, you should promise yourself that you won't play online again until the 1st January 2006.

Then, on that date, you will be able to start playing again, or give it up for another month, or give it up altogether, from a position of knowledge of yourself, and with self integrity.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:55 PM

You are a big part of my online monthly income, please don't quit.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

quit or do this.

You'll become a default winner by reading (and paying attention) SS, SSNL, or the SNG forum a few hours a week.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or learn gambling theory