Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Any tips for Pot Limit cash games?

Hey guys, probably about 90% of the time I play 10-20 shorthanded limit games, but I have a good local 2-5 pot limit game I go to where average stacks usually hover around 1000. Players aren't very good. Most nights there are 1 or 2 guys straddling, gambooling it up etc.. I do pretty well in the game basically nut peddling with pairs and suited connectors, but I was wondering if there were any subtle or obvious things you need to be doing in pot limit as opposed to no-limit (where I don't have a ton of experience anyways), that I should know. I figure the obvious would be limp reraising bigger pairs more ,and I do that to some extent especially if the game is real loose. The only other thing is I tend to check more to induce bluffs since I don't have to worry about overbets and most these guys aren't betting the pot much anyways. Didn't know if there were any other things some of you guys with more pot limit experience could tell me.

Sorry I couldn't find anything with this search function and if the question should be moved to small stakes, I was kinda stuck where to put it. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Any tips for Pot Limit cash games?

i slowplay less in PL, because i want to build the pot up.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:22 PM

Yeah, I think that's a good idea especially in this game where people get pretty committed to their hands or draws where they shouldn't. I'll use that and drinking less as my two main strategies for tonight. [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 11:42 PM

check raise builds the pot faster. spend some time understanding the building of pots by different betting as related to your stack.
checking to catch bluffs is dangerous unless you know where you are at in a hand.

if you are drinking alot in poker games you are going to get broke so it shouldnt matter anyway what you do.