Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 10:25 AM

Default JJ -- I\'m starting to hate this hand

Okay, so JJ is currently the only pocket pair with a negative BB/hand in PT for me, which I'm sure is due in part to variance and sample size (for instance, if my flopped set of jacks tonight hadn't lost to a rivered straight, then I wouldn't be able to say what I just said about -BB/hand for JJ, so it's close).

All the same, I'm sure I could play the hand better.

Anyway, what do you think about this one?

(UTG+1 is unknown. I have six hands total with him.)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.66 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.66 BB
Old 06-04-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: JJ -- I\'m starting to hate this hand

This looks fine. You to know where the gas pedal is and where the brakes are. From the board it looks like he is going to call again. You could fire again on the turn making that the last bet you put in the pot. I would bet with the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] here to try and take the pot and if not I take a free river card. A turn bet might get the pot and if not you have 9 outs. Without the club you probably has 2 outs and I am check/folding here.

Jacks still play like a small pair alot of the time because of overcards. I was shocked at the # of people in this thread JACKS That were saying to cap preflop from the SB.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:53 AM

This sequence looks bad to me. As a default... bet/fold the turn to an average to passive opp. Check behind on the river UI. The turn free card has got to be more helpful to him than to you.

With an clearly aggro opp, I don't mind your line (calling the river).
Old 06-04-2005, 11:25 AM

Me would have fired bullet on turn, then muttered "God Dammit" when raised. Checking turn invite bluff, and me then be compelled to waste bet calling river. Me rather waste bet on turn, hope to take pot, but check behind river.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This sequence looks bad to me. As a default... bet/fold the turn to an average to passive opp. Check behind on the river UI. The turn free card has got to be more helpful to him than to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. There are two overcards on board, and the flush draw just got completed. I think there are very few additional free cards that you could be afraid of.

With our position, this would be a good spot to check through the turn and call a river bet hoping we induced a bluff if a 3rd overcard hadn't hit. As it is, I think calling the river is close.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:37 AM

What you do is fold this hand on the flop and be done with it. THEN you would not have so many other bad things happen when MORE scary cards turn up and you are sitting there being tease. Do you REALLY want to go into battle with a scary flush draw and 2 dominating overcards when you are holding what could be 3rd hi pair?

JJ is tough because people tend to stay with them so long.

You are screwed this hand. Get out.

UTG+1 called so he has good but not great cards. Thus - I'm thinking he has at least a Q.

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition
Old 06-04-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What you do is fold this hand on the flop and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He raised one limper who called. He's HU. To quit on the freaking flop when his opponent has done nothing but call and check thus far is weak. There's 5 small bets in the pot, and the villain will have no A, Q or two clubs over 20% of the time. Giving up after being called is fine, since the draw got there if that's what he had. Occassionally the guy will have 77 or something like that, and then you get bluffed out of a small pot, but usually not. But giving up on the flop against someone who has shown absolutely no aggression thus far is unneccessarily tight.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:50 PM

Youve got to fire the flop. When he calls I'm not liking it but I agree with the bet turn, fold a raise, check behind line. I'm however open to other arguments as this line hasnt been working too well for me lately, they always seem to have the over pair.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He raised one limper who called. He's HU. To quit on the freaking flop when his opponent has done nothing but call and check thus far is weak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-04-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculous. Not firing at this flop is horrible.